The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Chelethyrine and Protopine extraction solvent Query

anyone know what non-polar would be useful in an A/B?

Never done a proper A/B yet but i have some Mex poppy to play with

Shellite pulled weakly and gave very light yellow powdery residue after multiple washings

Ive never worked with Xylene or Toluene yet but have now learnt what i should try

Would be interested if DCM does anything for theoretical value (too expensive to use tho)

im trying a/b cos my experiments with methanol gave an orange residue that had too much sugar in it to smoke and beside methanol is expensive to just evaporate to waste

[ 03. February 2005, 12:47: Message edited by: Rev ]

Hi Rev,

The merck index states protopine freebase as being:

sol in 15 parts chloroform, 900 parts alcohol (presumably ethanol), 1000 parts ether, slightly sol in ethyl acetate, carbon disulphide, benzene, petroleum ether (shellite) and practically insol in water.

protopine.HCl:

sol in 143 parts water at 13 deg C

sol in alcohol

Geez the merck index can be vague!

Chelerythrine freebase:

Has been recrystallised from chloroform+methanol (proportions not specified). Freebase is colourless but quaternary salts are yellow. Aq solutions of freebase and quaternary salts show violet fluorescence (excitation wavelength not specified). The hydrochloride, nitrate and sulfate have been prepared: yellow crystals with poor water solubility.

Rev, rather than worry about solvent cost, why don't you make a simple little solvent recovery system and re-use your solvent. You can make a really nifty one out of a large glass jar (preferably pyrex) inwhich you put the solvent containing goodies. You put a slightly smaller jar inside the bigger jar suspended off the bottom by a piece of wire (coat hangers are good) and shape a aluminium foil condenser 'cone' into the top of the big jar, fill the cone (which points down into the small jar) with ice/water and heat the big jar over a steamer. It works just like the old bush survival thing where you dig a hole, fill it with branches and a container and put plastic over the top with a small rock to weigh the plastic down towards the container and catch the transpired water.

You might even be able to fashion a larger one out of bigger containers with a bit of imagination.

I would try DCM as the non-polar solvent at first. It just seems to be sooo good at dissolving things. Once you get the stuff out, you can play around with other (cheaper, less toxic) solvents for adequate solubility. I doubt you will find any better than DCM tho.

Good luck

i agree with fractal,

those homebuild coldfingers work like a charm,

and produce only very little escaping fumes,

and it's a fast process!

i will try to find a coldfinger photo.

http://www.ethnobotany.com/items/cold.html

[ 04. February 2005, 09:38: Message edited by: planthelper ]