The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Will you eat american seafood?

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ever since the oil spill in the gulf started its creeped me out that fisherman are pulling up fish like theres no tomorrow ahead of the oil spill. Limits to fishing were lifted and people can haul in all they can catch. Obama has said he thinks its safe to eat, that doesnt really fill me with confidence. Benzene is slightly soluble in water (to the extent of about 40,000 times the toxic level) so it dissolves in ocean water and evaporates then gets caught in rain, thus getting into and coating fish and shrimp. Benzene is known to cause various cancers, especially leukemia, especially in children. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are floating around in little droplets that get eaten by little fish who get eaten by bigger fish we eat. PAHs are known to cause various cancers. Seafood is not being tested for either poison before being sold, yet we are told to assume without proof that it is safe to feed to ourselves and infants and safe to export to you.

This issue has been bugging me for a while now, I'm curious what others think... especially non-americans (because many americans are trained to exibit a fanatical nationalism that makes them do stupid shit, like eating poison because a politician says its safe)

Personally I'm going to be eating canadian fish and US pacific fish for the next year or three.

I'm not comfortable eating anything really, everywhere i go i see what flows into what and how bad it is, then we eat the products of our constant pollution.

I work in river systems alot, and i fucking hate it, i see (smell) all the fecal matter, oils, plastics, herbicides, pesticides, synth and organic nutes in high concentration etc. entering it all the time. People are swimming and eating and playing in rivers that is fed from storm water runoff, all the crap we produce essentially goes down, I hate putting one finger into the water let alone thinking about eating food. I get the contaminants on me all the time and i can't see how this wouldn't have a very negative impact on my physical health in the short and especially long term.

Everywhere i go we seem to have fucked and I don't think people understand how much damage we are doing to ourselves from the masssive snowball of what we have done in the past and continue to do into the future. We set up lovey dovey cancer appeals and the likes, yet people still won't acknowledge or stand up about all the fucked up things that are causing it, yet you bring that sort of stuff up and people think you are mean and have no heart, what a delusional society, completely fucking manipulated.

My aim is towards mountain lake fishing and harvesting wild meat (besides producing own meat, aquaculture etc), mainly roo and deer, which even then i know would be tainted in some way, once we toxify the environment there is no where safe to turn imo. Often what we see as remnant forest is just new growth from farming practices stopped say 50 to 100 years ago, the residues would still be there and these 'pristine' environments make us kid ourselves and think we are being healthy people, eating pure food.

And I fully acknowledge that even 'natural' environments can be very toxic just through the nature of the earth and all it's complexities, but a human influenced unnatural cycle destroying the biota that would balance good and bad (you get me yeah? i know it not all roses) is just insane and we are dying from it IMO.

Stop the world i want to get off.

I'm not sure what seafood (or subsequent food chain product) might be imported from the Caribbean/Gulf area but at the moment I think I'd avoid buying and eating it. No matter what Obama says. I feel for Obama at this point; unless the conspiracies are true he must've been furious at what happened and what it will mean for the US and his own government's image.

I have to say while I totally understand where Gerbil's coming from, I'm nowhere near so avoidant of the produce from places he's talking about unless it's particularly bad or from a bad known area e.g I don't buy Vietnamese fish if I can help it. I can't help but think I personally would be somewhat hypocritical to not eat (eg) estuarine seafood that's probably NOT 100% pure clean from pollutants, when before the meal I punch a cone of MJ and later enjoy a(n?) euphoric chemical or five. LOL no doubt much of the blase attitude has something to do with my laziness...

Hi Auxin, i was just thinking about this yesterday! And i definately decided not to eat any fish in the near future. Not only from this region but in general. But im very happy that it seems like the american government is taking the control out of BP´s hands now. I would make them pay so much money that their big managers would find themselves back in the stone age. No matter what, i would bring that company down. There would be no more BP after this. Thats what the american governemt should do. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

I think eating locally and seasonally is quite important. There is far too much wasted transport of food because people are spoilt and believe they should be able to eat whatever they want, whenever they want...

Unless you live in a region unable to produce enough food of course

never get from thailand or vietnam or cambodia, to much pollustion.

test it for heavy metals and pestcides

indonesia best for a 4 star seafood.

Theres nothing from the U.S as seafood.

The oil spill just finished a way of life as sea fisherman.

No more lousiana crayfish[fresh water-swamps] no more.

s

Thanks for that article devance. Computers based on neural networks is a topic I've long found interesting. But to use real neurons? Now that's novel!