The Corroboree
WoodDragon

Cannabis story on ABC's Foreign Correspondent

For those interested in the legal and financial aspects of the Weed...

I noted an advertisment tonight for a segment on cannabis 8:00pm next Tuesday, 15 June, on the Australian ABC. It's called High Finance, and from what I can gather it's about the opportunities arising from the legalisation of marijuana.

It should cause quite a stir on the talkback airways afterward, and I'm sure that it will have pencil-pushers of all stripes furiously scribbling.

This area is not really my bag, but it will probably be of interest to others here.

• Like 1

I'll have to check it out, thanks for the info. Unfortunately there is more money to be made from keeping it illegal.

More info here- http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2010/s2923813.htm

Let’s call it Califloracation.

Or supplier-side economics.

Groaning under the crushing weight of a multi-billion dollar deficit, California is dreaming up novel ways of paying its bills. And like a slacker’s cry in a Judd Apatow stoner film or a punch line in Cheech and Chong sketch - a bright idea: What about drugs!

Seriously.

An authorised cannabis trade already operates in California. A medical-use system which has grown and grown into a defacto mainstream trade.

"I’d be dead without it. I don’t get high from cannabis at all. It’s really boring.

I really honestly don’t like using it. I do it because I have to." ANGEL RAICH Pain sufferer, cannabis user

But later this year Californians will vote on a proposition to legalise marijuana altogether - enabling anyone over 21 to possess an ounce of the drug and grow it themselves. The payoff: the state get its hands on urgently needed tax revenue.

"Maybe two or three billion for the State budget. Now that’s not going to resolve a 20 billion dollar deficit but it would go a long way towards many things people are seeing being pared down." TOM AMMIANO Democrat legislator

Reporter Eric Campbell goes up country to meet a man we’ll call – with apologies to the incumbent Governor – The Germinator. Matt Cohen is one of the country’s premium cannabis horticulturalists with a pristine organic seed bank.

‘La Confidential, Casey Jones, Blue Cheese …’ Matt reads a seemingly endless list of varieties with counter-culture names certain to change if and when California choose to Legalise It.

The Cannabusiness has its supporters but naturally there are detractors.

"It’s a major cause of substance dependence in the United State. It’s a leading cause of going into treatment in the United States. It’s a leading cause of highway fatalities that rivals alcohol in the United States. It’s a very serious health problem - and especially I would say, for youth." DR ROBERT DU PONT Head of Drug Policy (Ford/Reagan)

Bumpitty, before it falls off the screen and is therefore not noticed by those who do not scroll!