The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
weedRampage

Seed Grown Monstrose

This thread is for posting pix of seed grown monstrose and for discussing possible ways to trigger

monstrose growth in seedlings.

I propagated some bridgesii and cuzco/peruvianus from seed.

Either the seed stock or the stressfull treatment they got meant that about ten percent

of the seedlings showed some sort of monstrose growth.

On the internet some people suggested that environmental stresses

could do it.

The seedlings were raised outside and got full sun for many months.

Some of them got so dried out and frazzled they went yellow.

Another thing that might have stressed the seedlings was the uncomposted

seaweed in the soil mix. The high levels of iodine might have done something.

post-6798-127615505378_thumb.jpg post-6798-127615507173_thumb.jpg post-6798-127615508914_thumb.jpg

post-6798-127615505378_thumb.jpg

post-6798-127615507173_thumb.jpg

post-6798-127615508914_thumb.jpg

post-6798-127615505378_thumb.jpg

post-6798-127615507173_thumb.jpg

post-6798-127615508914_thumb.jpg

Edited by weedRampage

abit off topic but here in nz on our version of ebay,a seller was selling a unknown trichocereus monstrose variety grown from seed,which was sourced from a monstrose tricho mother plant.i think they said around half of the germinated seeds grew into monstroses and the other half normal.

Monstrose from seed is quite common when the father is a monstrose, ie; T Peruvians monstrose is quite a common plant in the US, ( is that one in pic 3 ? )not ever seen a cuzco monstrose though but plenty of other forms of peruvians, which makes me think this is where your seed stock came from...think.gif

I am rather curious about the bridgesii ones though, the parents...? where they monstrose, deformed rib droppers or melted forms at all..?

Having babbled all that, you seem to be saying that these plants went monstrose due to growing conditions...or am I trippin""""""""

They look like they are in a slightly alkaline based soil, bapping them can make them pup and go all mad with ribs etc too.

T Peruvians monstrose is quite a common plant in the US, which makes me think this is where your seed stock came from...

All the seed came from Texas.

you seem to be saying that these plants went monstrose due to growing conditions

I was just surprised at the number of monstrose. It seems more likely to just be the seed stock though.

Cool, I have a plant that looks just like the second pic hope she does the same as yours :)