The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
crix

Field mushrooms?

Question

Hi folks,

Out and about today and found a vast wonderland of these fellows... I'm pretty certain these are horse mushrooms.

Anyone able to verify? I have much more experience iding the more blueish variety of fungus :)

Thanks

post-1021-127416429928_thumb.jpg

post-1021-127416430668_thumb.jpg

post-1021-127416431754_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

This is definately an agaricus species. The yellowing in the perimeter of the cap and the ring are strong indications it's an agaricus of the xanthodermus/molerii section. Check out the stem base for yellowing, also scratch the flesh to detect phenole/inky smell, if you verify those it's definately the toxic A.xanthodermus or similar.

This is definately an agaricus species. The yellowing in the perimeter of the cap and the ring are strong indications it's an agaricus of the xanthodermus/molerii section. Check out the stem base for yellowing, also scratch the flesh to detect phenole/inky smell, if you verify those it's definately the toxic A.xanthodermus or similar.

I had a look at the stem, and there is no yellowing, even when bruised. There are no funny smells... It smells just like a regular field mushroom...

Is there any reason they would have a little yellowing? None of the others seemed to have it.

I had a look at the stem, and there is no yellowing, even when bruised. There are no funny smells... It smells just like a regular field mushroom...

Is there any reason they would have a little yellowing? None of the others seemed to have it.

Actually, on second take, it does bruise quite yellow... Thank you for the ID, saved me some illness!

A.xanthodermus and some relatives bruise quite intensely yellow in the BASE of the stem, the lower end of it. Learning to recognise the inky/phenolic odour of toxic agarics is important if you intend to pick them for table :wink:

Nice find naja! Will you be cloning any of them? I would love a culture or print of them. :)

PC broken ATM, seal is fucked. Umm so no agar or LC. Could send u a bunch of print easy.There were heaps at various stages, 20+ easy and big specimens. I'll take pics when I go get them tomorrow.

Edited by naja naja

Volvariella gloicephala was the first wild mushroom I picked , IDed and then I ate. They're bigger than speciosa I think. I don't like them much. People usually fry them with some flour. Beautiful mushrooms. They become slimy when cooked.

Sounds good to me. I can send you a culture in the future if you like. :)

Any idea how Volvariella gloicephala compares to V. volvacea mutant? I love the taste if the latter, it's delicious.

A few in field shots of the

Volvariella speciosa and a stray shaggy ink cap

th_67735_100_0761_122_169lo.jpgth_67830_100_0759_122_76lo.jpgth_67949_100_0756_122_577lo.jpg

th_68014_100_0770_122_125lo.jpgth_68075_100_0773_122_210lo.jpgth_68146_100_0774_122_524lo.jpg

And wats left after a 4yo got their hands on it and ate it all except wats left in just 1-2min. Said it tasted like meat. Texture was too mushy like for me, but very noticable nutty aftertaste that lasted for ages and was quite yummy.

th_68206_100_0778_122_18lo.jpg and one last one pic th_68302_100_0783_122_485lo.jpg

Edited by naja naja

They look tasty.

Cool pics of the Coprinus comatus autodigesting itself. I found some of them outside my work today. I'll be going back for photos and picking tomorrow.

Edited by tripsis

Oh man these all look so mouthwatering!

Re the inky/iodine smell.. thats the odd part, there is virtually no smell at all... Is it normally very powerful?

Coprinus is tasty indeed.

Great shots. Yeah, they're different from V.gloiocephala, whiter caps too, we can see how people who hunt this mushroom [asians, they cultivate them a lot too] but haven't seen many amanitas could make a fatal mistake. Note that Amanitas need some tree nearby.

Report back , did you like the taste? How did you cook?