The Corroboree
Light&Love

Macadamia Nuts

Hey guys

I have a problem! I love macadamia nuts! Last year around this time a friend went up to Queensland and bought the freshest, tastiest macadamias! I was hooked! The problem is when i went up around early February to do some hunting for shrooms, and bought a couple bags, i got the feeling that they were last years nuts, as they werent very fresh. So my first question to all you Queenslanders out there is:

What is the perfect time to buy macadamias? i.e. what time of year do they drop off the tree, and are considered in season?

Ive been trying to order some from the internet, but im worried they will give me old ones, macadamiacastle.com.au sells them in 1 or 2kg bags(im after the raw, unroasted, in the shell variety) but they say you should consume within 4 weeks of buying, which has me a little weary about the freshness.

If anyone would be willing to get me 10 or 20kg of super fresh macadamias, i would gladly compensate handsomely whoever is willing to go down to their local grocer!

Thanks guys. Peace.

I can tell you this much now is not the time, none of my 20-30 trees are in flower at the moment and they have no nuts on them. I wouldn't buy macnuts [too expensive for what they are - and every sugar farm in Bundy region is replacing with Macnuts] because if you can establish two trees you would have plenty. My trees drop nuts on ground and I quite often find sprouted Macs where it is to be slashed - I sometimes dig em up and pot them on for my Dad.

I have two stands of Maca trees. I suspect they are they two different species, and the ones in the centre of the group (much shorter) are hybrids.

A few months before xmas, and around now, we get two flushes of nuts. The cooler season nuts are softer and sweeter but less easy to dry store.

I think many bagged nuts in stores are from Hawaii etc anyway? Best to hit local parkland, local farming areas and look for old forgotten stands.

They are a fantastic food, up to 50 percent protein. Traditionally they provided sustenance for South East Queensland indigneous folk to undertake the journey to the Bunya nut country.

I have noticed wild animals very highly prize the shooting nuts that are sprouting the mulch beneath the trees. I would assume these pack a serious food value however I have not tried eating them.

Mr Maca is not into it anymore.

Try a female.

just a joke

But aren't they a type of palm like tree like dates or something.

I love them, with onion powder, and or smoke salt a gourmet treat.