The Corroboree
Hashassian

catha edulis differences

hi guys,

anyone growing the different strains of catha from the shop?

big price difference and was just wondering if potency was also different between narrow leaf, pink and red?

thanks

I have a small narrow, but none of the others to compare it to. One leaf does give a lift but I havent had a chance to try any more than one. It is growing very fast in full sun, i think the serated leaves will do well in the heat even as a sapling.

I would go for serated because it is rare and more potent.

They all have serrated leaves.

oh yeah, i reakon catha will go ballistic here in the mallee

i was just wondering why the price difference?

im a bit of a believer in the "you get what you pay for"

• Like 1

price difference dictated by supply and demand. I beleive there harder to propagate, so become more expensive due to less being available.

All serated?, lol, well it's hard to tell from the photos. I still like my rare one all the same.

Red and pink [vienna white] are pretty much the same. It's just a colour preference. Pure stimulant. Slightly bitter. Easy to propagate from cuttings. Red is the traditional somali plant.

Green - this one has no pink or red at all ... ever. It is quite soapy when chewed. Propagates from cuttings at certain times of year. Stimulant, but apparently not very potent.

Narrow leaf - this is the one grown in south africa. Strong stimulant and inebriant. Sweet taste. Does not propagate well from cuttings. More tolerant of crappy clay soils.

My preference is for the narrow leaf because I like the mild inebriation with the stimulant. It's like having a glass of beer with your khat. The taste is also more pleasant in my opinion. However, the somalis will not consume this at all. They only like the pure stimulant effects from the red/pink forms. So if you ask a somali they will recommend the red.

Red is common in the USA.

Full thread can be found here: link

Another advantage of the narrow leaf variety is that its quite bushy with lots of fresh tips.

Edited by s4L

cheers

ill get all of them and have a go. again i think they will be very happy where i live!!

although a few somalis live around here, i wont be putting them out the front! lol

mine has little black spots on it, is this a problem. I looked up black spot and came across a fungal infection disease but it doesn't look the same.

It looks like a couple little freckles and has been like that since day one.

mine has little black spots on it, is this a problem. I looked up black spot and came across a fungal infection disease but it doesn't look the same.

It looks like a couple little freckles and has been like that since day one.

its not fly shit is it? flies love shitting on mine :lol:... i get a bit of scale also they love hiding in the new tips region so am constantly checking...

Nah not fly shit, ill watch out for those now. I think it's ok, just freckles from the sun.

I have alot to learn about taking care of my garden

oh yeah, i reakon catha will go ballistic here in the mallee

They do ok, i planted one into mallee sand (over calcareous clay)in my folks garden in 1989.

I gave it bugger all special treatment and it's had no problems.

That is apart from a bit of lack of water and neglect by the people who own the garden now- they haven't watered much in the last 8yrs or so.

despite all this, it's still there.

Look at her, think of the plant; does she look okay to you?. I dont know what this is but it seems to be getting worse, it has been on there since i got her. The little red dots are the problem... possible problem.

P2170048.jpg

P2170041.jpg

P2170045.jpg

yeah, i have seen those symptoms, but i would not worry too much about it.

it never got worse with me, than on those pics, and the same will happen for you.

plants which recieve as a respoce, a bit more pampering, will heal.

pampering means, repotting, fertilizing, prunning, giving more light, giving more airflow.

those spots look a bit rust like, and probably have been triggered by too much rain/moisture.

the vienna white or green variety and the red are of similar quality for me.

the narrow leaf, grows better than the green and red and produces far more branches and leafmass,

but doesn't stimulate as much.

the planthelper strain, for me is the best, as you get explosive growth, many branches and leaf mass, but aswell some of the stimulance you only get from the broad leaved cathas.