The Corroboree
kapitän kamasutra

small Trichocereus ID

Question

Hello everybody!

Thanks for having me on your Forum. I love watching the cactus pics here :)

I think you do, too. So I show you one of mine, even its not very impressive at this stage. I planted it three years ago. It is supposed to be a pachanoi. I know there are types which have long spines, but this one has up to 3 cm long spines, while the fattest part of the stem is only 5.5 cm thick. Its not showing glaucusness like my other Trichos at the same age. What do you think of it? Too young to tell?

post-6368-126607950957_thumb.jpgpost-6368-126607947602_thumb.jpgpost-6368-126607944516_thumb.jpg

post-6368-126607944516_thumb.jpg

post-6368-126607947602_thumb.jpg

post-6368-126607950957_thumb.jpg

post-6368-126607944516_thumb.jpg

post-6368-126607947602_thumb.jpg

post-6368-126607950957_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

man I think I love cacti at this stage... When they first exhibit their first mature traits- this when grown from seed. I think I can spot a V sign too in some areoles. Looks very nice and interesting!

Why do you say it's not at all glaucus? Are the photo colours messing with my eyes?

In any case, letting it grow a bit more will help the potential educated guesses.

man I think I love cacti at this stage... When they first exhibit their first mature traits- this when grown from seed. I think I can spot a V sign too in some areoles. Looks very nice and interesting!

Why do you say it's not at all glaucus? Are the photo colours messing with my eyes?

In any case, letting it grow a bit more will help the potential educated guesses.

Thanks for the response! It not very blue, but the light in here is not great for photos. In day light, the colour looks more like on the flash light picture. It has some V on some areoles. I'm very happy it looks like a cactus finally, its from the first batch of seeds I grew successfully. Can't wait to watch it grow next season.

Looks like cuzcoensis to me, but can't say for sure at this young age.

Looks like cuzcoensis to me, but can't say for sure at this young age.

Bang on, that's exactly what it is.

:)

The nearly black spine bases are pretty common on T. cuzcoensis...so I'd go with that too.

~Michael~