The Corroboree
AndyAmine.

What is the longest spine growth you have seen on an Eileen clone?

What is the longest spine growth you have seen on an Eileen clone and is it common to have secondary spine growth on this clone?

Most noticeably is my biggest one which is around 3yrs old and aprox. 7ft tall, in the last 6months it has been pumping out new spines on old areols toward the base of the cactus, this is cool but whats more interesting is that some of the spines are in excess of 7-8cm long, new fluff at the base and fat as hell where all the others max out at around 3cm and I havent seen much in the way of secondary growth, at least not at this length.

Have noticed secondary spination on old lower parts of standard bridge, they come out a nice translucent yellow colour, my Eileen is virtually spineless so can't assist there..

I strongly believe that development of spination is closely related to lighting, intensity, quality etc.

Thus I think there are habitats/locations where plants amke out the most of their spination. A nice way to make a great spined specimen is I think exposing it to as much sun as possible.

Just some thoughts...

I was blessed to purchase a cutting a while back when reshroomEd was being generous with us folks across the pond. The bugger grows fast for me. I'm in a 10b zone. A single large cutting was divided into three, with two plants being experimentally treated, and the third kept as a control. First plant received surgical removal of the apical meristem. Within a month, four new base pups and a fifth top pup burst out. One base pup stalled. Here's a pic from a several months back. Current growth is about 40% more with both plants, and an update photo is due to be taken/submitted. She's the one bottom right in this pic:

DSC00046-1.jpg

DSC00059-1.jpg

DSC00045-1.jpg

Test #2 was treated with a 20% BAP solution in lanolin around the third aereole layer. It sprouted five new pups as well. The brownish discoloration is an effect of the lanolin attracting and holding dirt/grime.

DSC00057-1.jpg

DSC00056-1-1.jpg

For a year, the surgical test was top dog as far as mass produced, but has recently lagged behind the hormonally influenced subject. The control had not pupped, but exhibited robust growth.

The point to this post in this thread....with them all, the spination is virtually identical to my other bridgesii. Were I not to know it to be a different cultivar, i would not note any difference, other than her enhanced rate of growth.

Sorry Andy, don't know how I missed this one.

There were a few threads several years back about this, mainly by Rev, (and one may be from old EBA?) but they appear to have been lost as a quick search got nothing.

Spination varies from nil to about 3". On pups it's as per average bridge, and same up until a few foot in length, whereupon it often becomes spineless for the botom two-thirds (bar the very base). These limbs often sprout new spines in the previously 'dead' areas, but are generally bare in that particular area

ed