The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
No_One

Sentences for Offences

Hey Guys,

I've been looking round the net but can't find the information I'm after; I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for the standard/common/usual sentences for different crimes commited.

I see they are state specific so I guess I'm after information regarding NSW.

Anyone know where I could find this sort of stuff out?

Peace and Thank-You.

Sentencing Law NSW online is one place, but you have to pay for access I believe. You'd probably be able to view an equivalent hard copy at a uni library.

"Sentencing Law NSW is a comprehensive new legal commentary product which examines the principles, practice and procedure of the sentencing process. Designed to help you prepare for sentencing procedurally and brief your clients in respect to anticipated sentences. In one up-to-date volume, the work focuses on sentencing provisions in NSW courts including offences dealt with under Commonwealth jurisdiction. This essential reference examines the range of sentences for specific offences, and explains the intent behind the principles and legislation with accompanying case studies which exemplify comparative sentences. It also lists the mitigating and aggravating circumstances that the court will consider."

http://www.lexisnexis.com.au/aus/products/catalog/current_htm/senn%20onl.asp

Last time i was in court, i saw a 21 year old kid who had beaten and sexually assaulted a young girl with 4 of his friends after breaking into a house...because the case had taken nearly two years and he had "grown up' a bit since the incident, he was handed a suspended sentence...

000000------

they usually use a point system where certain amount of point are amounts of money or time in prison or time for community service...as far as i know...

and all this adds up to the fact that other than maximum sentence information which should be in the acts, you could practically get away with murder if you grew up since the incident.

is there sucha thing as minimum sentence? dont think so...