The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
smokeydaze

Time of Year

Ello yellow

I've heard the alkaloid content of this species fluctuates throughout the year and was hoping someone could let me know when it is at its highest..

Thanks in advance!

it's not quite that simple man... i believe a lot more work needs to be done to make answers to those kind of questions more clear.

there are quite a few threads which discuss this though, as well as time of day etc. do some searching... if it's definitive answers your after though i think you might be disappointed

There are some suggestions that infer, that it's at it's highest in the hottest driest part of the summer, this is tied in with the idea that these types of alkaloids are produced more and more as the plant stresses, a mechanism of self protection or preservation so to speak. Other bits of data have said that as the tree is flowering and developing seed, then once again alkaloid levels raise due to the mechanisms/plant hormones hard at work to grow and produce flowers/seeds to repopulate, this would possibly go hand in hand with when the temps are very hot. One thing to note also is that a lot of people use when the trees are flowering, to correctly identify them, thus taking bark, seed and leaf samples whilst they are with the tree on that occasion, once again this is when it's hot and the tree is at work growing and flowering. Have also read that the tree does not always necessarily flower every year, this due to very unsuitable environmental cues, harsh drought, excessive flooding and rains etc.. How many people who are novice acacia identifiers would go out in winter or autumn and confidently ID an obtusi or madenii...prolly not many huh.

I don't think there has been anywhere near enough data collected from various trees in various patches, in various states or at various times of the year etc...as you can imagine that is an unimaginable amount of work, although it would be a wonderful way to spend your days, but until someone is willing to pay people to conduct these massive amounts research then the current info will probably remain as it is.