The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
infinite_monkey

new scientist article

the latest new scientist has an article on ayahausca and how it can help to understand schizophrenia

havent read it yet but looks good and thought there might be some out there as equally keen to read it

Daniel read part of it to me the other morning and it seems that some of it is poorly researched. The author also doesn't appear to have a good conceptual grasp of MAO inhibition as she is unclear about the actual duration of MAO inhibition (as so many others are). Possibly the largest amount of misinformation stems from the fact that reversible MAOI's (like harmaline, moclobemide etc) are still lumped in with the irreversible ones that gave MAOI's the bad reputation 20 years ago. The latency of scientific comprehension often amazes me.

Torsten:

Daniel read part of it to me the other morning and it seems that some of it is poorly researched.

poorly researched? i'll see ya 'poorly researched' and raise ya a 'sensationalist crap' with an article i found on aya in an australian penthouse magazine recently. can't recall the date of it but it wasn't too well done.

[ 27. June 2004, 19:49: Message edited by: waterdragon ]

Torsten:

The latency of scientific comprehension often amazes me.

every day... every day... :(:(

I wonder sometimes if some journalists just find a sexy topic, do a google search , collate the crap they find, put a sensationalist angle on it and hand it in as a feature article

we need a Journo on our side taking our angle. We could feed them top quality info and fight back againt anti-drug misinformation

well i am still keen to read it now but for different reasons, i was under the illusion that it may have actaully been good,now i just want to read it out of interest sake and potentialy laugh at the spin

Could we get it scanned? anyone? Im going to try and fund a copy 4 myself tomorrow o/wise but i dont have a scanner.

quote:

I wonder sometimes if some journalists just find a sexy topic, do a google search , collate the crap they find, put a sensationalist angle on it and hand it in as a feature article

That is exactly what they do. Being paid for the amount of words vs truth and accuracy. Many writers are freelancers that

get hired on a case by case basis to fill out the publication with whatever they can comeup with at the time of the editors phone call.

The New Scientist article:

DREAM DRUG OR DEMON BREW?

A foul-tasting concoction used in religious rituals may hold clues to the roots of schizophrenia p.42

Sounds like New Scientist fluff to me...

FWIW i like the taste of Capi :)

re article

hmmm language use is questionable. rubs me up the wrong way

how many mg of DMT is a bucketful BTW?

I find the approach used very lazy and disrespectful - Amazonian cultures havent been just 'downing' this fould tasting brew for centuries - it is part of their creation myth, their social order and the vehicle of the story of their cosmos that binds the Tribal custom together. For those interested i recommend the chapters on B caapi use in Furst "Flesh of the gods". Excellent work. brilliant in fact and available at Amazon.

I want the article they talk of where DMT was found in shrooms too.

quote:

But does the brain bump up its number of serotonin uptake sites too? Using a brain imaging technique that labels serotonin receptors, Callaway has now tested one person, and found signs of a similar upregulation in a serotonin-rich region of the brain.

ha i postulated this before! a long while ago

a remedy for 'e' related neuron damage! pop away party goers and then fix yor circuits with aya

hahaha

BTW i dod believe that there was some talk here on the forums about new belief that this is what prozac does too - rebuilds receptors. where was that again???

quote:

Even in the highly controlled lab setting it can trigger twitching, vomiting and diarrhea. Useful if you are an Amazonian hunter wanting to rid your gut of parasites, perhaps, but not exactly convenient if you are wearing your best party gear.

awhawhawhaw so witty. another glass of chardonnay darling

twit

[ 29. June 2004, 03:10: Message edited by: reville ]