The Corroboree
teeko

ID assistance requested

Question

Sorry for the phone pics.

The parts of the plant that are in full(at least more sun than the rest) are bright red. The stems are deep red and in warmer weather the new growth leaves are as well. I have not lived near this plant long enough to see it seed, just that one single bunch of flowers posted below that popped up a few weeks ago out of nowhere, and has since turned into a dry clump as seen at bottom. A large amount of people have said that this plant looked interesting and to investigate further - saying it may be of African origination and the fact that its caught my attention for some reason or another since i moved into a house near it.

phonephotos9.jpg

ced281329.jpg

phonephotos9.jpg

phonephotos9.jpg

ced28829.jpg

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or positive identification? More images are available.

4 answers to this question

Hi teeko, i dont know what it is either. But it definately looks familiar. Especially the way it flowers. I have the feeling that i get this feeling because the flowers kinda have a similar color as Banisteriopsis caapi Flowers. I´d be interested in the ID too if you should be able to clear it. bye Eg

Hi teeko, i dont know what it is either. But it definately looks familiar. Especially the way it flowers. I have the feeling that i get this feeling because the flowers kinda have a similar color as Banisteriopsis caapi Flowers. I´d be interested in the ID too if you should be able to clear it. bye Eg

Escallonia fradesii "Pink Escallonia"

I cannot seem to find any information regarding constituents. I may have to send some samples in for testing, although, not exactly sure where to send them yet. hahahaha

Hmm, sorry to change the topic too much but does it have a bitter almond taste (Caution!) when a few leaves are chewed? Meaning to try and get an ID for a Celastraceae(?) that looks a lot like a white narrow leaf khat. Are they known for containing amygdalin or something similar?

Will have to get pics anyway but good luck with the ID.

No bitter almond taste. HOWEVER, and this is a big fat however - it tastes like broad leaf Catha! Which is where all of this stemmed from. haha

Hmm, sorry to change the topic too much but does it have a bitter almond taste (Caution!) when a few leaves are chewed? Meaning to try and get an ID for a Celastraceae(?) that looks a lot like a white narrow leaf khat. Are they known for containing amygdalin or something similar?

Will have to get pics anyway but good luck with the ID.