The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Eth_Head

sowing question

Last night i got around to start planting out all my seeds. I didn't realise the san pedro seeds were so small :o

After reading trouts notes i decided to use 125mm pots that i had around so i wouldnt have to worry about any transplanting for some time. But my question is, should have i dropped in more than 1 seed per pot to increase the chance of germination? :huh:

Thanks

Alot of people seem to put a heap in a small container then space em out once they start getting of decent size, I wait a year or so till I do that.

here is an example pic http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...amp;hl=takeaway

But you can do 1 seed per pot, not all will germinate and you will end up with some empty pots, but if you provide the same conditions you will get the same rate of germination in single pots or all in a takeaway container, just that you will use more space.

Just remember to keep them in high humidity initially and keep them warm. then all should be good :)

good luck

ahh i see.

Trouts notes suggested it was hard to pluck the seedlings out without damaging, which was another reason i went with single seeds per pot.

i've got 4 pots in a humidity box atm. Might take them out and put them in bags and fill the box with sand&cacti mix and do the takeaway container tek for the rest of the seeds.

Yeah most cactus species are really small still, even after a year, even for big ones like peruvians are like an inch high!

If you want to do something more permanent to 'set and forget' basically, except for a spray of water mist occasionally, try finding some sort of enclosure - keep out the excess rain (pretty obvious) and cut down on the harsh UV light, which can harm even cactus seedlings.

A little fishtank is not bad, just remember that those plastic storage tubs will only make it about a year in the sun - they're not UV stabilised!