The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ramon

Mate, Ilex paraguariensis

Where is the best place to buy mate in Australia and also is there one brand which is better then the others

The most common mate is the one in red & white packaging. It seems to lack the finer flavours though (eg vanilla and other aromatics).

We now stock a mate that we get from an argentinian importer. can't think of the name but the stuff is just luverly :)

Did you try the bag I gave to gom at the last meet? that was it.

Ooops, I think I forgot to put it on the site...

The most common one is indeed in the red and white packaging- "Cruz de Malta". It's an argentine mate, and, while I actually quite like it, it's not quite my boquilla of yerba.

I don't really like some of the aromatics (and I don't like adding flavouring herbs, either), but I do like a nice full-bodied mate. My favourite is "Nobleza Gaucha", another argentine blend.

Hey Tort, did you send my new boquilla? I think I just received a parcel.

P.S The one additive I DO like is a white alcohol (rum, tequila, even vodka). Add a *bit* (ie. to 'taste') to the yerba before adding the hot water. The best idea to have come out of Chile since Pablo Neruda.

P.P.S. In sydney, mate can be got in the Marrickville Metro shopping centre, in the Continental Deli; or go into every third shop in Fairfield (ok, so I'm exaggerating, but there are lots of shops that sell it there).

[ 30. June 2004, 00:41: Message edited by: Gwydion ]

Originally posted by Gwydion:

The most common one is indeed in the red and white packaging- "Cruz de Malta".

That's the one I mean.

Hey Tort, did you send my new boquilla? I think I just received a parcel.

Yep, we finally got all the stuff for the kits together. Your parcel should contain a second mate&bombilla free for your patience (shhhh, it's a bribe so you won't don't tell anyone how long it took ).

P.S The one additive I DO like is a white alcohol (rum, tequila, even vodka). Add a *bit* (ie. to 'taste') to the yerba before adding the hot water. The best idea to have come out of Chile since Pablo Neruda.

I kinda really like Lemon verbena and some of the other verbenas. I even like them without mate. Not sure if I really like them in the mix though. Mate has a delicate flavour and i think the verbenas are a bit coarse.

I've never heard of putting alcohol in mate though. So what is the recommended amount for a 150ml mate? a teaspoon? a nip?