The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. White

Health Check

A few months ago a friend and i ordered a pachanoi and a peruvianus each, I named mine peter and icaro :P

Just keen to get a health check on them, they're my first foray into the world of cactus growing (and gardening in general, for that matter).

We planted them in a 50:50 mix (by volume) of potting mix and perlite. It seemed like a lot of perlite when we mixed it but that was the recipe we were following so i just went ahead with it. The mix probably needs some sand too.

The two have been kept inside by a window since i got them and watered about every 2 weeks, the soil has been pretty dry. I moved them outside and watered them once a week about 2 weeks ago seeing as we're finally having some nice weather in Perth. I found some seaweed concentrate in the shed which i've heard is great for cacti, thinking about giving them a dose (at half strength) next time i water. Good idea?

Theres some scale-looking things on parts of the both cacti as you can see in the picture, anything to be alarmed by?

Peter:

post-4936-1254993907_thumb.jpgpost-4936-1254994146_thumb.jpg

Icaro:

post-4936-1254994036_thumb.jpgpost-4936-1254994523_thumb.jpgpost-4936-1254994899_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254993907_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254994036_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254994146_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254994523_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254994899_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254993907_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254994036_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254994146_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254994523_thumb.jpg

post-4936-1254994899_thumb.jpg

They look pretty healthy to me mate, nice !

They look very healthy, seems like your soil mix is good for them. I wouldn't worry about scales, those look like scars to me. :)

Edited by Pacha

give them as much sun as possible...not window sill sun...outdoors wind beaten, rain thrashed, sunburnin, outdoor sun...most sickly/blotchy wrong coloured, weak looking cactus come good if you get them out and give them 8hrs or more of sunlight...these plants are one of the most toughest plants in the world and can take a severe hammering from the elements..it's what makes em strong and healthy. I've got hundreds of seedlings outside in small pots..i'm talking seedlings 1cm high copping all the elements....some are laying over flat and getting pounded by rain and wind and cop heaps of sun...but when hard grown like that, only the strong survive and there the ones you want....I don't pussy em just let em fall over and bend back up to the light...let em dry out cop a rain bashin..they are still kicking...

your plants look fine but look like they need some nice airflow, a little bit of fertilizer..half strength and heaps of lovely sunshine.

Theyre both outside now, have been for a few weeks seeing as the perth weather has finally cleared up. I wasnt really worried about them, but i'm a cactus newbie so i could easily have missed something obvious :lol:

Another quick question: the pachanoi is the "San Pedro" from herbalistics, which says "This clone is the standard Australian pachanoi"

What exactly is the "standard australian pachanoi"? is this the Backeberg clone i keep reading about?