The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
johnboy

ephedra use

I'm trying to find the strongest form of the herb for nightshift. I've chewed, stuffed the cheek, infused for minutes and hours and all to little avail. I did repeatedly boil and simmer down, and that gave me some of the common simptoms of ephedrine. I haven't tried cold infusion yet. Have I simply missed the best one? Mixing with caffeine provided exponential effect though. But mixing is more dangerous longterm.

good ephedra should give you a decent buzz from as little as a tablespoon of herb. Given your body size you might need a little more, but it seems what you have isn't what you want. Check chinese herbalists for the good stuff.

geezer--i have worked 9-10 hrs a night for the last 7 years.

the first year is tough---you can't expect to change a lifetimes habit overnight.

it's important to eat properly & keep your immune system healthy as the stress ov your new hours will wear you down & if you get sick everything gets alot harder.

my best advice is forget ephedra/speed etc.---once you make a habit ov using that suff to work, it's a vicious cycle to break.

you would be better off ensuring you get enough sleep so you wake refreshed & ready for a nights work----be careful though, some sleeping pills can leave you really woosy even after a good 8hrs sleep.

I agree,

I used to pull 48 hour shifts and your body can get used to staying up all night

Just as long as you take care of yourself and catch up on the rest you need. using stimulants may get you though it

but it'll come at a cost that I can't see paying.

[ 14. June 2004, 14:05: Message edited by: Flip ]

Too true

I burnt myself out on Ephedrine pills in Bali trying to burn the candle at both ends

made me sick as a dog when my immune system couldnt cope

Maybe look into melatonin or tryptophan to help your body clock reset and help you get to sleep when you need to

[ 24. June 2004, 20:48: Message edited by: reville ]

hehe a side note... who's seen the movie SPUN?

melatonin---forgot 'bout that---shift workers have proportionally much higher rates ov heart disease & stress related illness.

one theory for why is that shift workers have very low melatonin levels(which the brain produces while asleep, but the trigger for production is the fading daylight.)

melatonin is not very available here in aus; but you can get it from OS---pretty sure it has the same legal status here as tryptophan.

Well I don't know about the legality...

But small doses of GHB will help shorten and deepen

the sleep cycle. That may be used (if legal) a few times per week without much of a negative impact. ymmv

[ 15. June 2004, 20:24: Message edited by: Flip ]

I'm in my 10th year of shift work. The problem is that I don't re-adjust well anymore, I have had insomnia for which I used benzodiazapines. Now I find staying stimulated when working helps me sleep a bit better. What I was getting at was the best method of consumption. BTW, when I did use the very easy to aquire melatonin, I fell asleep at sunset!! Not what I was hoping for on a sunset tot sun up shift!

johnboy--ok geezer, after 10 years you should know what works for you. appologies if i seemed preachy.

have you tried Stilnox--it's a pretty good way ov regulating sleep patterns in the short term , w/a lot less "hassles" than the benzo's or barbs.------that is my opinion & not a statement ov fact.