The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Jamanoid

Free for the first (Sydney peeps) to ask, Pick up only.

Heya folks, none of the things here are particularly unique/hard to find items, but I guess they're not usually free eh?

So yeah, I just thought I'd throw them in as a "hello" to the Sydney folks here, while other things I might be able to share/trade are still a work in progress.

It's a northern suburbs area.

Rouge De Marmande (2)

So if you're not sure what a "rouge de marmande" is, it's a tomato.

A BIG tomato, ridged top for an unusual look.

One of the "beefsteak" class which means...if you make a tomato sandwich or hamburger, one slice has you covered, which I think would be kinda cool.

Of course results in size may vary but if cared for properly they get HUGE.

They're known for having a very deep flavour making them ideal for cooking into sauces as well.

Another thing, is to stuff them - as they're large in size, their capacity for fillings is very spacey.

Here's a picture of some that have been cut:

RDM1.jpg

They will need to be staked as the fruit has been known to be so weighty that the plants end up on the floor.

I'd recommend planting in the ground, with some controlled release fert/nutrient soil mix mixed into the surrounding earth, or an organic/plain soil mix with ONLY base nutrients if you intend to feed them any ferts/nutrients that you will apply yourself. Expect the bush to be 1/5-1/3 bigger than your average tomato plant. They can grow potted, but you're looking at a large (bucket or bigger) sized pot.

They're about 6cm tall at the moment, they are VERY healthy and hardy, and will come in a small plastic pot full of nice quality controlled release fert soil mix. Ready to replant, and I'd suggest within the next 2-3 weeks tops.

Aloe Vera (X7)

Young, healthy, but not so pretty at the moment (not gonna lie)

See, what happened was, for about seven years we were meaning to re-pot our large adult aloe-vera. Beautiful specimen.

I thought it had just started to grow more bits n pieces, but what had happened was it had spawned offspring.

So I removed about 13 little ones of varying size, tiny to medium.

Due to the restricted root-space that they'd been sharing with the monster, they'd all of them been suffering a bit of malnutrition, actually I am surprised they lived as long and as well as they did.

So we got to work seperating all the roots...not real fun...took AGES.

We re-potted everything, in adequate space and a nice mix of controlled release and organic soil mix. We've kept them watered and they're doing quite well.

So as I said they're not pretty right now, but given some time and TLC they'll be fine - their outer parts are kind've brown and may or may not make it, but the inner parts are doing excellently, they're a very nice stunning green with new growth in the centre as well. These plants can be, and will be absolutely beautiful.

Now, I'm keeping the big one as it's just legendary size now, and I'm keeping the one TINY baby I have left, and I've given some away to mates with gardens - apparently they're all doing VERY well after being planted.

What I have is 7 small-medium sized aloes left, and I would love for them to go to a good home.

Ideally they'd have earth to be planted in, but they will do fine given a correct sized pot.

They survive - and well. They really require very little effort, and can be left months on end (but please dont...) on one good watering. They're very pretty as you'll know if you've seen them, they make a nice garden feature, and the sap can be (sustainably please) harvested to make drinks, and healing salve, but even if not - they look great, they spawn themselves somehow, and like all plants throw nice oxygen our way for very little in exchange.

Jade (x4)

Wow...these things are just everywhere, and grow from cuttings.

But maybe you want some without having to attack a local plant to get it?

See, these is another (at the moment) not-so-pretty item...the previous tennants left them here, and while we've done our best to water and care for them, we do live in an apartment and didn't have any bigger pots available...so they're not in the best condition. Two of them are even a bit ugly...the other two are "ok".

They're all ok really, considering all they need is a bit more space, a garden ideally, and about 1-2 months of care and occasional watering to spruce themselves up which they do very fast. The only thing "bad" looking about them is that right now they don't have a HUGE amount of "leaves" on them, but they have new growth and everything - as far as I can tell, space restriction is their only problem.

I'd actually keep these myself but I've recently spent a lot of my excess cash on other things for the garden, and have no pots here large enough to accommodate them, and well I do already have a smaller one growing here too.

They make a great addition to an outdoor garden and can actually be a barrier plant, but grow fine in large enough pots too. They will just get bigger and bigger, as I said they grow easily from cuttings so if you want more it's like having our own factory. They don't tend to attract bugs either so they're not very problematic to grow as a companion plant to others either. For best results, I'd mix a succulent mix potting soil in with an organic with base nutrients. No water retainers or anything like that needed, they're incredibly hardy and will store water for miles.

So there you have it, that's the stuff I've got to give away.

I don't need anything in exchange...though I do have a green thumb and would be interested in anything anyone might want to bring ianyway, such as any herbs, succulents, anything that smells nice without being too bee-attracting (allergic) and we're also after planks of wood of any various shapes and sizes.

But hey if you've got nothing to share, and you want some of this stuff it's all good, just hit me up and we'll organise.

So as the numbers are limited it's first come first served...I don't really even know if anyone will want these things, but I hope they're able to find a good home - even if you can't use them, think if there's any friends that may be able to use them, or any people you know not particularly good at caring for plants for the second two items, all they need is the occasional glass of water.

I'll check in a bit later for any replies.

Tomatoes look amazing, would love some if you have any spare!

Would love one of everything. Not sure I will be able to coordinate the pickup though. Only passing through Sydney early next week.

Let me know and I will see what can happen

Cheers

All good, folks.

Poo - One rouge de marmande seedling has your name on it.

dbbard - One of everything has yours.

I guess if you can pm me with your availabilities of time and transport etc, we'll be able to work out when you can swing by.

If either of you would like any more of what's left, just let me know in good time.

Well, looks like the rouge de marmande tomatoes are all gone, but don't worry any other Sydney folks who wanted some - Bunnings has them, and so does Eden gardens.

So from this point I have left:

6 Small-medium aloe-vera as described above.

3 Jades

Awesome, thanks very much The Jamanoid! Will get in touch to sort out details.

Just wanted to give a shout-out to dbbard, thanks for meeting up with us.

You're a polite, generous, and comfortable person to be around and a great introduction to the forum trading scene for me.

Thanks again.

Poo - As I said, I'll keep yours on hold and I'm sure we'll meet sometime down the line anyways, eh?

Other peeps - I still have

3 medium Jades, and 6 aloe veras if anyone's after them? Great way to boost your garden, very user friendly

Let me know if anyone wants some.

- B.

Edited by The Jamanoid

Thanks for your generosity Jamanoid.

The same things go for you. I hope to be able to return the favour at some stage.

Cheers