The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Electronic Cigarettes banned

Been researching getting a newer better e-cig because my old one broke but unfortunately they are now illegal. Apparently nicotine is highly addictive so has been added to schedule 7 of the Poisons Standard. Nicotine can only be sold

( a ) when included in Schedule 6; (and 2 as well i think)

( b ) in preparations for human therapeutic use; or

( c ) in tobacco prepared and packed for smoking.!!!!!

So inhaling a mix of nicotine and 4000 other chemicals, many of them proven carcinogens, is cool but plain nicotine is bad? And the reasons given is that nicotine is addictive as stated by the health minister Daniel Andrews. :ohttp://www.theage.com.au/national/ban-on-b...81231-77ko.html

You'd think that the e-cig would be covered under ( c ) but the TGA hasn't approved them as a therapeutic good.

I believe the ban is because electronic cigs make quitting relatively easy. They are also far cheaper than other nicotine replacement therapies so i think that this product started to piss off the people who make other NRT products as well as the tobacco companies. Two very powerful enemies.

THe pharm companies that make NRTs only have to compete with tobacco as a rival. And because tobacco is so heavily taxed and the NRTs aren't( afaik), the companies that make them get to have a HUGE mark-up whie still being cheaper than the alternative.

Fortunately for tobacco companies most NRTs are basically useless and smokers really have to struggle to quit and will bounce between tobacco and NRTs many times.

Enter in the e-cig which works well ( and the new ones are even better from what i can gather) and is way cheaper because its not exploiting the fact that the alternative won't be able to compete in a price war. ( as in NRT vs. tobacco). I think the big boys ignored it but when they saw that it was starting to gain momentum they had to act fast.

And as our government couldn't really tax a product that helps people quit smoking they decided to ban it instead. Which allows tobacco and pharm companies to go back to business as usual whilst the goverment takes their cut.

I think this whole affair is disgusting and if it weren't for the fact that e-cigs are not stocked by pharmacists (i wonder why) and more widely known about i think there would be social uproar. Banning a product that saves lives for money! Ridiculous (but not unexpected) :(

What a crock of shit.

IS this Federal or State?

Has anyone ever used tobacco in vap?

I have a volcano in storage and wanted to use it with mixed weed but a). it left nasty stains on the gauze and B). someone told me that vaping tobacco was actually more carcinogenic, although I could never find anything that backed this up.

Edited by FungalFractoids