The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tallman

First P. Eryngii grow

Hi all,

Here are my first bags of P. Eryngii. Very pleased to see so much activity, but should I cut off some of the stems? I mean, can they grow to full size so crowded?

Thanks for your advice.

Oh, these bags were inoc'd with spawn I got from Worowa via his Forest Fungi site.

Tallman.

post-4395-1250139752_thumb.jpg

post-4395-1250139792_thumb.jpg

looks pretty promising... :drool2:

Hi Tallman,

I've been eating Kings for the last week from that batch I made. Watertrade got me started on the Kings-thanks.

That top pic looks like some of my bags from last year-I think it's high CO2 concentrations, makes mushrooms grow on top of mushrooms. Did you leave the bags closed while the shrooms formed?

The ones I've been eating are from grain substrate-did my back in, and never did a bulk run. Got lots of nice sized shrooms, and a few smaller ones. Some of the bags where mislabeled "Shiitake", so I hope to see some cocopop formations on the bags I labeled "Kings"!

Pick off as many healthy looking shrooms as you want-I just twist and snap, and cut off any remaining substrate from their bases. Slice 'em and fry'em. Even the big growths with tiny caps taste good cooked up. Don't leave them too long, or they'll lose their texture.

Save a little bit and reculture some on agar. They're so keen, I've got petri dishes full of King oysters.

Nice, keep the humidity up and increase the fresh air exchange and they should sort themselves out, you should get a good crop off that. don't forget to rehydrate by submerging in water overnight after the bags slow down after the flush, you should be able to get 2-3 flushes of them, then go shallow bury them in the garden for potential for more later on which will take on a much earthier flavour and colour.

Thanks everyone for the kind responses.

Yep, that sounds right Worowa - CO2. I had them out in the store room and was only checking them once a week or so. They really exploded over the last week. Guess I'll have to watch more closely and cut em open as soon as I see primordia. Hope your back's on the mend mate.

Gerbil, thanks for the tip with burying them when spent. I love the idea of them colonising the deadwood and mulch under my shrubs.

Cheers all, T

Aaargh. I think I've killed them...

I have been keeping these cut-off bags in a large plastic storage tub and keeping the humidity high by misting the bottom and sides of the tub every day or two. Also misting the bags every couple of days. I only had a couple of small vents in the box. The box was cleaned with diluted bleach before I put the bags in.

There is now mould starting to grow on the little shrooms. Have I overdone it and created a damp icky environment rather than just a humid one? Are they goners? Have a look at these photos and please give me the benefit of opinions and constructive criticism.

Cheers, T.

post-4395-1251025482_thumb.jpg post-4395-1251025517_thumb.jpg

post-4395-1251025482_thumb.jpg

post-4395-1251025517_thumb.jpg

post-4395-1251025482_thumb.jpg

post-4395-1251025517_thumb.jpg

Just cut off the dodgy bits (not the whole cluster of pins, just the bad ones) use small sharp scissors or something to get in tight spots. Also it would be worth cutting out any of the mushrooms that have gone really soggy, the one in the second picture with the yellowing coming up just the base of it might be one of those soggy ones? You can tell 'cause when you give them a little squeeze they more or less collapse.

It can be difficult getting the humidity right as well as the fresh air exchange, especially if the weather outside isn't conducive to their growth. You can introduce oxygen through pumps with a few air stones in jars/bottles of water, or simply don't close them up in the box so much, leave the lid a bit open and give them a fanning once or twice a day when you get a chance.

Also are they getting any light? It would be beneficial to give them a bit of light, doesn't have to be much or for too long, i usually just leave the garage open in the afternoon where they get some vague daylight.

But yeah you really need to try and get some more fresh air exchange going on. Some of the fruits are looking good, they are a bit small at the head from too high CO2 and not enough air exhange but they can often come back fairly well from this as they grow, it's not ideal but you can still get a good crop. I wouldn't give up on them though.

Ok, thanks for the advice gerbil. I'll get to work tonight with a clean scalpel.

Two more Q's:

Do the blocks need moisture (should sterile water be injected at any point)?

Should the water used for misting be sterile?

Thanks again all. T

I rarely do any misting. I get a good first flush from the moisture already in the bags. I just give the bags a quick open and close once a day, once I've cut them open. Mine usually live in the kitchen, on top of the cupboard.

I'ld get one of those ear cleaners, dip it in bleach, and dab it on any contaminated patches. Then you could cut them off and chuck them.

Take a clean fruit, and do an agar culture. 1teaspoon of agar, 1teaspoon of milo(or your preferred carbs) per 250ml of water.

As someone mentioned, bury the blocks when they're done, and get big capped kings.

They're still alive, and pretty tough.

Have you eaten any yet?

As someone mentioned, bury the blocks when they're done, and get big capped kings.

They're still alive, and pretty tough.

Also worth a try, maybe after you gain more experience,

if you have any of the following species at your disposal growing close by.

Eryngium spp.

Thistles inc. Artichokes and cardoon.

Ferula spp. esp. F.communis

Fennel may also be worth a try.

Break the flowering stems of the plants after seeds have matured.

by them the stems are hollow and woody apart from the soft pith that remains inside them.

Push spawn (parts of old block after a few flushes) into the pith of the old stems

and seal by inserting smaller setions of the same stem .

This is one of the places that P.eryngii and it clan fruit from in the wild.

-P.eryngii var. ferulae ;P.eryngii var. elaeosilenii; P.nebrodensis

Also, fruits may emerge from the ground where they have grown off the roots of the host.

Surprisingly large fruits can grow from hosts that appear disproportionaly small,

In the wild their stems are usually thinner ond/or shorter and their caps larger and darker.

This 'method', so far is only theory, but something I have wanted to do for some time now.

I thought I'd just get the idea out there so that anyone may 'give it a shot'

and post any successes here for all to benefit.

so far, I have growing in my garden for this purpose:-

Ferula communis var.glauca

F.tingitana

Eryngium maratimum

E.planum

Artichokes and Cardoon.

Here are some pics of this group of fungi species 'in habitat'.

I hope this inspies a few to take up the challenge. :)

:drool2:

...P.eryngii var. ferulae on Ferula communis- Sicily...

http://www.naturamediterraneo.com/forum/to...p?TOPIC_ID=3199

...and in Spain- on Eryngium spp...

http://www.natuaragon.com/Fichas/Micologia...s%20eryngii.htm

http://www.biodiversidadvirtual.com/hongos...ii-img3289.html

http://www.isona.org/boletus%20seccio/prof...s%20eryngii.htm

...P.nebrodensis - Sicily- growing on its favorite host, Cachrys ferulacea...

http://www.naturamediterraneo.com/forum/to...?TOPIC_ID=28204

http://www.naturamediterraneo.com/forum/to...?TOPIC_ID=47675

http://www.naturamediterraneo.com/forum/to...chTerms=madonie

:drool2:

Maybe this should be start of another thread...?

I just got carried away :P

Mods, please move it if you see fit to do so.

:)

Thanks guys. I have swabbed the mould with diluted bleach and cut off the soggy bits. Yeah, they are getting filtered light.

No I haven't eaten any yet Worowa. But looking forward to it.

Hey Gerbil, just last night I was checking out those links from your AEB post. Some huge ones there. Make sure you post your progress if you have a go at that 'method'. Sounds cool.

Cheers, B

Make sure you post your progress if you have a go at that 'method'. Sounds cool.

Cheers, B

Will do, for sure :wink: