The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle. S

Dying Kava

Hey all, i have a small kava plant from herbalistics that i got about 2 months ago. I really didnt think it through at all seeing as its winter here in perth :slap: , but anyways, it had a few small green leaves which have now all turned brown and shrivelled up nearly completely but are not dry, so that only an unhealthy stem is left.

It is in a little greenhouse from bunnings that, to the best of my knowledge (i havent checked between 11pm and 7am) does not fall below 13 degrees and is quite humid. I know this is a bit chilly but up until a week ago it looked healthy. The only nutrients have been a small amount of dilute seasol once and it is watered rarely. It also has good drainage.

Lately the days have been reasonably warm, so i am wondering could it be the increased difference between day and night temperatures that is causing this? Has anyone known their kava plant to suffer from too high humidity?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

kava is not an easy plant to grow...

i had a big plant and it died after i had been away for less than two weeks, obviously not being happy by the care recieved by my plantsitter.

kava, i think is a plant which roots might get easely damaged by too little water, and than when you water more to compensate for what happend, you already damage what ever is left of the roots by too much water.

anyway, you say you got a very friable mix and it was warm, and that is good.

i don't think kava can suffer from too high humidety, but they easely die from being too cold.

i overwinterd my plant always inside in a similar climat to yours.

it doesn't sound good, but maybe you can nurse her back, by treating her again like a cutting, meaning high humidety, and moist, but not wet.

i guess your plant was underwatered for just a while, and suffered root damage.

Ah, the soil was always moist, but maybe it wanted more regular fresh water being flushed through?

if she was always moist as you say,

than we would have to conclude you overwatered the plant constantly,

and the possible root damge, or what ever damage the plant recieved was caused by too much moisture.

perth is not tropical, and got wet winters, so that might strenghen the above speculation.

anyway, i think you will not give up on this plant as it's soo special,

but sure kava is hard to cultivate unless you live somewhere in polynesia, hehe.

Im far from a expert gardener & have never grown kava but have had this happen with other plants

A saline build up ? Are you using tap water ? salinity clorine fluoride added to tap water would build up without regular flushes of rainwater

it may be a combination of the warmer weather & temp fluctuations

Try some rain or tankwater & keep a eye on the fluctuating temps as its been getting warm & the small greanhouse may be getting hot during the day & still a little cool at night so is shocking the plant

The soil ph may be off so a cheap test kit would also be handy ?

These are just suggestions i would try the rainwater & the correcting soil PH or repotting into a new mix with a good PH range for kava ?

Edited by mac