The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mescalito

Nelumbo seed strength?

I ate one last night over a few ales,and started to get a :D and nice somatic feelings around the jaw/cheeks.The nut tastes exactly like almond!

Slept rather well too.

Anyone else split these seeds and eaten them?

I've given several of the Asian grocery flavours a try. Goes well in a few dishes, but no psychoactivity. Reputedly, this is not because the variety is wrong, but because they have discarded the active part of the nut??? Would be interested in knowing how to tell from sight which are any good. And if anyone knows of a good, local source for the whole seeds, please drop me a line. Same goes for Nymphaea.

The only part I discarded was the tough outer shell.Then chewed the seed into a paste and swallowed.

I remember friendly saying something on the seed extract being active,so how many seeds/extracted would be a noticable dose friendly?

SAB sells the seeds quite cheap.

If they are split open and missing the embryo they will be substantially less strong as a sedative.

[ 26. April 2004, 21:36: Message edited by: theobromos ]

Ok,the embryo was intact and green,and was very bitter compared to the rest of the seed.

I feel 3 or 4 of these would have fairly noticable effects.Although I'm not sure without consuming alcohol as well.

the ones in the asian grocery are all missing the embryo

itd be nice to backtrack and see what the mnfactrs do with them all :)

They are sold (as 'lotus plumules') by Chinese herbalists and contain the highest alkaloid content of the entire plant by weight.

They are sometimes sold as an Opium substitute or adulterant as they have a similar psychoactivity and taste when smoked or vaporized.

Just to check, I have had a couple of different looking "N. Nucifera" seeds from Asian grocers. They were both round and about the size of a hazelnut. One had a brown skin, the other was pale. Both split and missing embryos, of course. The odd thing is that I collected some seed from that public source in Adelaide one year, and those had a completely different morphology, ie, more like a sunflower seed. I know these were the real deal because I have seen the flowers! So I presume the grocers, as well as discarding the goodies, could also be passing off dud varieties? I am contemplating a trip to Thailand some time, and want to sort this issue out before then.

The split seeds for sale as food have either been dried or roasted.

You want fresh, viable seeds (although Lotus seeds hundreds of years old have been known to germinate).

Omchi Herbs sells the Lotus plumules for $12.75 (usd) for 500 grams, plus shipping. (shameless plug) We also have a very fine hot-knifeable 5x powder at $18.00 (usd) for 100g.

There are no restrictions on their export or import anywhere in the world, to the best of my knowledge.

However, as word spreads you might expect to see some changes to that...

[ 09. May 2004, 03:39: Message edited by: friendly ]

friendly:

Omchi Herbs sells the Lotus plumules for $12.75 (usd) for 500 grams, plus shipping. (shameless plug) We also have a very fine hot-knifeable 5x powder at $18.00 (usd) for 100g.

There are no restrictions on their export or import anywhere in the world, to the best of my knowledge.

However, as word spreads you might expect to see some changes to that...

If I had the dollars I would definitely invest!!

What about it T ? :D

(I know you're rolling in it :rolleyes: )

[ 11. May 2004, 01:29: Message edited by: mescalito ]

And friendly need not feel any shame about his very fine hot-knifeable 5x powder. I love it and so does everyone else who has tried it. I mean everyone.

A little alcohol always helps though.

that's exactly what we need to know, Theo.

--or if funds are tight i guess it's just a tease :confused:

Kilo prices are even less, although I would start with a smaller size to see if there are any 'issues' with OZ customs that aren't immediately apparent.

Most people have no idea that the Chinese have been getting whacked out of their skulls on any number of herbs for the longest time.

"C'mon....how can a billion chinese be wrong michael?"

Damn I love that movie!

Interested party for sure.