The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
celestariel

Substrate temp vs ambient temp

Hey guys,

I have a terrarium setup which is a 26L rectangular plastic translucent container with holes drilled in all 6 sides.

I have a moist mixture in the bottom of perl/verm and a heat cable sitting in this mixture, to provide warmth.

Then on top of this I rest my colonised wheat berries and bulk substrate in alufoil containers.

Should i have my thermostat positioned to control the temp in the air or in the perl/verm mix.

It seems that when the air temp is about 24c, the perl/verm mix is about 36c.

So from the texts I've read it says approx 21c to 25c for fruiting stage right?

So would I assume that means air temp?

And whats the best way to sterilise coconoir fibres for bulk substrate? I found out the hard way that it's not sterile even though it comes sealed and fully dried at a high temp.

Thanks.

:scratchhead:

From what I know...if the ambient temperature is say 25 degree's and you have 1 tub of substrate inside say a 95 litre fruiting chamber with breathing holes...you could expect the substrate to be approx 2-3 degrees warmer than the ambient temps....you can test this by using a meat or cooking thermometer...stick it in the substrate and check...I'd say if your substrate is 28 degree's then you are going to have optimum conditions for fruiting....keeping the RH to between 85 and 95% is also desired....cakes like it at 100% though.

H.