The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle. S

Khat extraction

Hey just had a quick thought about khat. It seems like the general idea is that an extraction is not possible because the actives break down too quickly, but also it is imported from other countries under the right conditions and remains strong enough to be worth importing.

So i was thinking, if a bunch of fresh shoots were collected at dawn, taken inside an aircon house, curtains drawn, run through a wheatgrass juicer, then the juice de-fatted with an appropriate solvent then extracted after changing the pH or whatever, would this yield cathinone?

I know it would have to be stored properly and used asap but might be a cool idea even just as a novelty. My chemistry is pretty shit so could someone give any advice? Is cathinone more stable as free base? Does acid base type procedure even work for the actives in khat? Am i missing something very obvious (i'm still semi-asleep) or am i the smartest man in the world? :P

I always thyought the intresting thing about these chemicals are that they are the basis of the well known research chems beta-ketone MDMA,beta-ketone MDBD which has always made me wonder the viability of extracts being altered to create such substances ( of course i mean somewhere where its legal ) but its always a question i've had about cathas actives yes it breaks down but if a conversion was somehow under taken these 'beta -ketone'seem to be far more stable would there actually be a way to undertake such a process starting with the plant extract

I always thyought the intresting thing about these chemicals are that they are the basis of the well known research chems beta-ketone MDMA,beta-ketone MDBD which has always made me wonder the viability of extracts being altered to create such substances ( of course i mean somewhere where its legal ) but its always a question i've had about cathas actives yes it breaks down but if a conversion was somehow under taken these 'beta -ketone'seem to be far more stable would there actually be a way to undertake such a process starting with the plant extract
Your idea of making analogues of the psychoactive amphetamines with the carbonyl that is characteristic of CAT would probably be a disappointment. Cathinone itself is rather unstable because there is a primary amine and a ketone in the same molecule. It will tend to dimerize and become inactive. In the example of METHYLONE (as with methcathinone) the amine is a secondary amine and the compound is quite stable. But all of the psychoactive amphetamines (except for MDMA) are primary amines.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shulgin/blg/index.html

Guess that sort of answers my question although there has to be beta-ketones that are viable obviously MDMA & MDBD but there must be others ????? and is it possible to synth these fro m a kaht extract where legal

Wow you'd have to work real fast. I don't know if youd even be able to make an extract in the first place?

Wow you'd have to work real fast. I don't know if youd even be able to make an extract in the first place?

wonder if there are any of these structures viable with the enol present in dried khat yeah cause from my understanding yeah your right it would be near impossible with cathinone however the others seem more stable I couldn't find any research on the concept definitely intrested to know if its a possibility