The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kitty

Strains of khat?

Hey,

I was wondering what the various strains of khat are?

On the SAB khat page stains 2, 5 and 9 are listed, and it describes strain 4 as the narrow-leafed variety that planthelper has, but what are strains 1, 3, 6, 7, and 8? Are they not in Australia, or are they just very little-known?

-=kitty=-

strain 4 is in stock now, but I haven't put up the page yet.

the other strains are various seeds and cuttings I collected. some of these aren't worth propagating separately as they look identical to one of the other strains and are often closely related. at least on strain died.

For a while there I was madly collecting khat seeds from all over the world only to find that most came from just one or two sources anyway. Other plants turned out to be clones of each other or seedlings from a parent I already had. All the interesting ones are now available.

Have you assigned the Perth strain a number?

That ones been in Australia some time judging by the trunk diametre of some of the trees

Oh OK, thanks for clearing that up Torsten. I can rest easy now, knowing that I'm not missing out on a great big khat secret :)

rev - no. I assumed it was similar to the common red that MG has been selling for years. But obviously it isn't (referring to taste).

The strain from brisi gardens also has a number. it is distinct in that it often has opposite leaves. nothing special about the effect though.

Whereabouts in Perth is this strain? A friend of mine is moving going over there for the next couple of months, and would love to bring a few cuttings home with her!

Guest electro

does narrow (ph's) one taste any better than broadleaf (no 2) ???

narrow is much sweeter and has an oily taste. it is also less of a stimulant and more of an inebriant.

Guest electro

good .... (exactly what i was hoping for )

thanks torsten :)

The best one to access is at ascot racecourse in on eof the parking areas at the corner near the memebers stands.

Its usually pruned well but suckers should be there as the groups that exploit this resource dont seem all that knowledgeable or interested in cultivating it - just picking it

There are dozens of others, some in parks, most in private yards

You should collect seed if you can

For that the only one ive seen you can access is on the UWA campus

The monster i collected off a while back has been cut down because the ethiopians wouldnt keep out of this guys yard.