The Corroboree
darkhorse

Planting out khat

I'm not sure whether this is true or not but I recall reading somewhere that if you leave Khat potted for too long they form root balls. As such, when it comes to planting out their growth becomes limited.

Could someone please confirm or deny this statement.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure whether this is true or not but I recall reading somewhere that if you leave Khat potted for too long they form root balls. As such, when it comes to planting out their growth becomes limited.

Could someone please confirm or deny this statement.

Thanks in advance.

yes that is true to a certain degree, and can be said for all plants.

but there is a simple solution around this, all you have to do is to trimm the roots before planting out.

you can just simply run a knife thru the root ball or inspect it a bit closer and cut off the most entangled bits and what ever you feel needs trimming.

i know it sounds cruel to cut those roots, but the plant is much better off that way in the long run.

one aswell would try to untangle the roots and spread them out in your hole.

once you have dug your hole, create a mound of loose soil in that hole, and spread the untangled roots over that mound, like this your plants will be always off to a good start!

• Like 1

If you have some plants you know are a bit rootbound, just keep up the ferts & drop some egg shells in now and then

Thanks for the responses, exactly the info I needed.

Cheers.

Just wondering what are the egg shells for? Can they be used to promote strong roots in young plants that have just been potted up?