The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jethro Tull

The Present

I see the conscious mind as a part of the physical body located in the brain.

Where in the brain is it?

The conscious mind contains animal instincts, and thoughts/memories/definitions to relate to the environment each individual experiences.

If it contains them, is it like a container?

If it is a container (as a mind contains thoughts as you say above) and you say it is in the container(brain) are you not describing a container within a container?

What is mind made of then, that enables it to contain?

What are it's contents made of that enables them to be contained?

Where does thought end and mind begin?

We have control over our conscious mind; we choose to give thoughts/memories/emotions life.

How do we have control over the mind?

What is the tool we use to exert control?

In my opinion:

The collective unconscious mind/universal mind/Holy Spirit is like a collection of data, connecting all forms of life.

This universal mind is where inspiration and intuition come from.

Where is its origin?

What is its purpose?

What is it made of?

Here are some quotes from "The Present" starting on page 50.
I'd rather hear from you and what you know.
What do you think the mind is?

A word?

Edited by Archaea

I must admit Archaea, this is quite difficult to put in words, if that is the point you are trying to make.

There is a reason I posted the link to the contest and the book before I said anything. The Present attempts to explain these things in a much more understandable way. The contest is for everyone to participate in.

I'd rather hear from you and what you know.

I understand you would like to hear what I have to say, so I will attempt to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Where in the brain is it?

The whole brain. I see the brain as the central hub for all the senses; electrical cues and firing neurons. I see the mind as something, as energy.

If it contains them, is it like a container?

No, containers have limits. The mind can receive infinite information; it is like a retrieval center.

What is mind made of then, that enables it to contain?

Energy. Certain cues are activated by the present situation/environment. These are related to previous experience, or encoded as new experience. The brain is a constantly changing chemical reaction.

What are it's contents made of that enables them to be contained?

Energy, something that is part of the body.

Where does thought end and mind begin?

Thought is of the mind. One in the same.

How do we have control over the mind?

We are not our minds. We are immortal spirits, receivers. Our minds are the hub of our senses, used interpret the environment constantly. We can choose whether to give thoughts/emotions/memories life. Try it. Turn your mind off to thought/interpretation and open up to life in the present. Let it in and reflect it out without the mind's input.

What is the tool we use to exert control?

The mind is a tool for our spirit to use. The mind is our companion, not our overlord.

Where is its origin?

No origin, it is infinite. It is beyond comprehension of the conscious mind.

What is its purpose?

When you see beyond your own mind, you can come in touch with the universal mind. It speaks through us in the form of inspiration/intuition. It's main purpose is to be the guiding factor in the evolution of life.

What is it made of?

I don't know. My best guess would be balanced waves, like everything else.

A word?

Yes, I agree. The more you ask me to define the mind, the more I realize it is just a word. I tried my best to put my thoughts into sensible words, would you care to provide your opinion about the 'concept of mind'?

My opinion about the concept of mind is just that,

it is conceptual but not actually something that exists.

I have no use for truth that can be held in mind.

Thoughts and mind are very heavy

what happens if I remove them, if I take them off?

The burden I never knew I had...

falls away

I do not abandon thinking

I do not cling to my thoughts

I do not let their weight remain upon me,

letting them pour as they will

I do not seek what i already have.

Edited by Archaea

I do not abandon thinking

I do not cling to my thoughts

I do not let their weight remain upon me,

letting them pour as they will

I do not seek what i already have.

It seems as though you already have found peace of mind, so you have no need for 'truth you can know.' However, the majority of mankind does have a need for 'truth you can know' so that they can find peace of mind themselves. You are absolutely right; there is no reason to cling onto thoughts and give them life. You are continually given life in the present moment, and there is no reason to be weighed down by your thoughts that block you from experiencing life fully. I would urge you to write an entry for the contest Archaea.

This contest is looking for the most complete, understandable explanation of the ultimate truth. "Ideologies are judged using the evidence, critical reason, logic and scientific methods." If the masses cannot get it we are lost, because they are the human race. To fundamentally change mankind, the truth has to be presented in a way where most people can understand it. The truth is the only path to unity.

What I'm saying is that the closer the interpretation is to our present level of awareness, the more people will understand it. That is what the truth contest is for; a common, 'new' understanding of the ultimate truth that the majority cannot yet grasp. "The Present" may or may not suffice; I personally think it does, and that is why I provided the link. Regardless, more entries will be submitted and ultimately confined into one entry that is the most understandable, and the most complete. It will be written by everyone, and no-one, just as the collective unconscious/universal mind/Holy Spirit is everyone and no-one.

The truth leads to unity, and a group/team effort is needed to raise awareness to find truth seekers who can help refine the ultimate truth to be understood by as many who are ready to know and live in it. We are all one team in this 'contest': the human race. There are no winners or losers, just seekers.

The Vedas in the Hindu religion say it very clearly, they sum the truth up as, "it is" which is very to the point and very clear and accurate, but they screw it up with all the other things that go along with that religion, so they are also a force against the truth when you think about the situation in the present, the only moment that ever is.

The truth can only be found in the present, the only moment that ever is. Once the truth becomes clear in the present, it becomes clear in all past philosophical/religious works/ideas. The truth leads and unity follows. After all, separation is just an illusion of the mind.

It seems as though you already have found peace of mind, so you have no need for 'truth you can know.' However, the majority of mankind does have a need for 'truth you can know' so that they can find peace of mind themselves.

I can't speak for a majority of mankind, but I wasn't ready until I was.

The Vedas in the Hindu religion say it very clearly, they sum the truth up as, "it is" which is very to the point and very clear and accurate, but they screw it up with all the other things that go along with that religion, so they are also a force against the truth when you think about the situation in the present, the only moment that ever is.

I don't find them to screw it up, at least not for me, but the vedas aren't for everyone. I also found a lot of clarity in the diamond sutra and the dao de ching, but only when I was ready.

I feel you are right in that science needs to realize that the illusion of linear time causes nearly all of the problems that exist in regard to quantum physics and Newtonian physics.

Do you have any pets?

I can't speak for a majority of mankind, but I wasn't ready until I was.

Yes, only those that are ready to find the truth will find it. Once the truth has become self-evident for you, you live in it and/or help others get on the path of seeking the truth. The truth will come to those who are sincerely looking for it. I am trying to say that many people think they already know and/or they are not seeking at all. We can help those people onto the path of seeking.

Do you have any pets?

I do not, do you?

Can any of you think of a better way than the contest to find and spread the truth?

Read the paragraph at the bottom of the truth contest website, and let me know what you think.

:)

truth?

---------------

sorry about the fact that nobody laughed at that. it's a fear and loathing quote, stated in a queer, puzzled voice.

truth?

---------------

sorry about the fact that nobody laughed at that. it's a fear and loathing quote, stated in a queer, puzzled voice.

:lol:

The ultimate truth, a puzzling concept that needs no conceptualizing; silence will suffice.

I'm talking about conventional truths, or skillful means to help others along the path.

Attempts to elaborate on the ultimate truth may seem pointless to those who see things as they are, but many are blinded by the illusions of their mind, in a deep sleep. The way I see it, if we can help the masses through skillful means of presenting truth, we can change the world for the better, because the world is a reflection of us. Change starts with the players of the game; our world will not change until we change our perspectives.

Do you think The Present presents a truthful explanation of "that which is" that can help others to wake up from this deep sleep?

"2 + 2 = 4: It does not equal anything else. The truth is there is only one truth. Believing 2 + 2 = 5 or 6 or anything else does not make it true. There is an infinite amount of wrong answers, but only one true answer. "(http://thetruthcontest.com)

Doesn't 2 + 2 = 4(+ or - 1). Unless we go 2.0 + 2.0 = 4.0(+ or - 0.1), then we have to round off the answer to get 4.

So 2+2 can equal anything between 3 and 5.

For example if I have 2 apples and you have 2 apples and you buy 2 apples off me but I have taken a bite out of each of mine which I then give to you, then you have have 4 apples, but you feel riped off.

Maybe there should be different categorys of truth Like:

-Rational truths

-Emotional truths

-Spiritual truths

and maybe others..

Because one truth is there is different truths to different people;

A nuclear bomb is a good thing to many people however other people see it as a bad thing. the same can be said for;

-religion

-a big stick

-disposable nappies

-science

-drugs

-V8 engines

and well nearly everything else. It depends more on which end you find yourself on (PERSPECTIVE).

Finding Universal truths may be commendable, but thats just science, and there are other paths to gain dynamic cosmic understanding, and all paths should be respected.

Something like that anyway.

An interesting read though, but I'm sure we don't need to definitively find the truth behind the truth behind the Truth Competition. But this will no doubt provide some tangible benefit for some person or persons searching for inspiration, so thanks for sharing.

And maybe criticism of The Truth Competition on this forum have more to do with defending the truths which people know and share rather than an attempt to crush truth outright.

Anyway, Cheers :)