The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
WoodDragon

Scabby leafed ipomoeas

I have two Ipomoea carnea cuttings, a couple of months old, growing indoors in small pots.

In the last week or so they've been developing what looks like a crusty, scabby exudate along the vascular pathways on the upper surfaces of the leaves. The worst-affected leaves are beginning to yellow and curl, although the newest leaves seem to be fine - so far.

I have not observed any sap-sucking insects or such, although about four days after the onset of the blemishes we have had a run of ants in the house, and they seem to be particularly attracted to the Ipomoeas. Both plants are about to flower, and the flower buds seem to be fine for the moment.

Any ideas?

Woody.

(Edit: photo added)

post-4408-1235053280_thumb.jpg

Edited by WoodDragon

hard to imagine what it is. any pics?

Today I noticed that the ants were back in force over the glories, and this time I saw that several were 'drinking' along the veins on the leaves. It appears that they were the culprits after all - anyone else seen this with ants?

Ants rarely if ever attack plants (leaf cutters are an exception obviously). My opinion is that your problem is maybe a mite or insect of sum kind... or a fugal infection...

First inspect the leaf with i magnifying glass top and bottom. Mites a sneaky buggers so if you think you see a tiny insect but its not moving give it a prod and if it is a mite it will move. If there are insects white oil or pyrethrum (or a combination of both) should do the trick...

If you can't see anything give the leaf a wipe with a soft wet cloth.... weak soap shouldn't hurt either... and see if you can wipe off the scabs.

If all else fails get a better photo and ill see if i can id your problem.... but in general the ants are not going for the plant but rather an insect/insect secretion

Edit: Could also be a precipitate forming in your leaves.... what are you using to feed and how much how often?

Edited by Mr Stay Puft

Perhaps over or under fert?

Why not get some naturasoap and give it a spray anyway, see if it gets better.

If it does its probably an insect, mites etc... just doesn't look like it to me though.

Fungus maybe...

Peace