The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
phytoshephard

milkthistle interactions?

Hey all,

This is my first posting. Brief intro; herbal medicine student, recent interest in ethnobotanicals, growing, preparing and consuming.

As I try to be health conscious but like a good high as much as the next person, I was wondering if adding my silybum marianum to ethnobotanicals will inhibit the effects of a good high.

I have not tested my theory of adding milkthistle to preperations to counteract potentially hepatotoxic constituents, and it would be pointless if this will dull the buzz. Any ideas or outlandish theories are welcome. Thanks

I've never heard of any such interactions- but thats probably because you are on untested ground. I would, however, advise predosing rather than (or in addition with) mixing- and naturally a 'post-trip' follow up dose over the next day or two. The pre-dosing will strengthen the liver (its hepatorejuvanative effect), mixing will help the liver neutralize the toxins immediatly (its anti-hepatotoxic effect), and the post-dosing will repair the liver (its hepatorejuvanative effect again plus some anti-hepatotoxic effect).

If S. marianum seeds themselves do reduce the strength of an entheogenic experience it may not be the flavanoids themselves that interacted, so try it again with store bought silymarin tabs.

And please report any results- positive, negative, or neutral.

That does make sense. I will have my A. calamus ready for harvest in a couple more weeks. I'll try a pre & post dosing of S. marianum and post the results.

I've been taking milk-thistle tabs (equiv of 4.4g dry fruit/tab, 3-6 tabs daily) for several years now, and have noticed no interaction with any entheogens, or other substances for that matter.

The liver-beneficial effects are astounding however, and I couldn't recommend this more highly to people with liver-damage concerns.

ed

Milkthistle is definately one of my favourite medicinal herbs. Seeds are cheap and plentiful, germination is fast and simple, and its useful for so many medical conditions. I wonder how many people could have avoided liver cirrhosis if only they had been told about S. marianum?

I once read an article on the treatment of deathcap mushroom poisoning with an IV administered dose of silymarin. Apparently silymarin and silybin are poorly absorbed through the gut, approx 20% of ingested content.

Perhaps a fluid preperation taken sublingually would be more effective......