The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Plantsoma

Acacia victoriae

I just soaked some Acacia victoriae seeds to sow. As they are an arid region plant i thought the soak time should be minimal so as to minimize fungal problems. Most swelled in seconds (in hot smoke water, not boiling) and the tails seemed to pop out straight away and they look a darker brown than the yellowish that i usually encounter with other acacia. I pulled them out of the water straight away, so they were in there for about 1 minute. When i sowed them, most of these tails snapped off.

Has anyone germinated these?

Is soaking wrong for this species?

Not all swelled with the tails out so i have a bit of variety and some may still germinate.

are you confusing the radicle (root shoot) with the aril/funicle (fleshy bit attaching seed to pod) of the seed?

1 minute is pretty astounding for germination of radicles ?

I am pretty sure it is the radicle as there were no aril present on the round seeds. Ive never germinated a round acacia seed like this so im not sure yet. Ill monitor them and post progress.

I've germinated these. I treated them just the same as any other Acacia, hot water soak overnight then planted in potting mix. 100% germination so I wouldn't stress to much about how you treat them.

I just soaked some Acacia victoriae seeds to sow. As they are an arid region plant i thought the soak time should be minimal so as to minimize fungal problems. Most swelled in seconds (in hot smoke water, not boiling) and the tails seemed to pop out straight away and they look a darker brown than the yellowish that i usually encounter with other acacia. I pulled them out of the water straight away, so they were in there for about 1 minute. When i sowed them, most of these tails snapped off.

Has anyone germinated these?

Is soaking wrong for this species?

Not all swelled with the tails out so i have a bit of variety and some may still germinate.

i've noticed something similar on old seed that didnt germinate.......i just assumed it meant the tail was dead as a door nail.

t s t .

Yes, that could be the case Tst. These seeds have been lying around since '03.