The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tallman

Shiitake sawdust or dowel spawn?

Hi all,

As I'm a resident of The Gap (Qld) I now have a few nice logs of eucalyptus and liquidamber courtesy of the recent storms. I'm wondering if anyone has some Shiitake sawdust or dowel spawn that I can buy off them (I don't have anything to trade). No guarantee re the viability of the spawn necessary - anything's better than nothing, which is what I have now. I'd just love to take advantage of the logs that have fallen in my lap, so to speak. Also, anyone have an opinion on the suitability of liquidamber?

Cheers everyone, T

How about grain spawn or even a culture (shiitake)?

Any anyone ever tried growing/fruiting on Jacaranda? One landed in my yard.

Hi Tall man,

I can't be sure because I have never used it myself. however I think liquidamber is pretty good choice for shiitake. (I think I remember someone saying it was good)

I think I have a spare shiitake culture from a recent trade you can have. (I will have to check)

I think your best bet would be to make grain spawn and get creative with a chainsaw. cutting strips from the logs and sandwiching spawn.

cheers

Awesome! Thanks heaps watertrade.

I'll pm you to make arrangements and will start preparing to do the grain spawn.

And thanks for the advice on how to approach the logs. I love an excuse to arc up the chainsaw.