The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
celestariel

pf tek heating

Hello all,

What do you guys use to gain ambient heat when colonising and in particular when your fruiting.

I am using a PF tek plastic box, drilled with tiny holes, and I hand spray with water twice a day and air it at the same times.

I just can't get a stable temperature going on. At the moment I'm using a 2m 8 watt reptile heating cord with a thermostat, but it sits around 16-20c, which is air temp. I've tried a heating plant propagation mat too, but the heat transfer from the mat to the box is super inefficient.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Cheers.

PF Tek recommends 27-28C for colonisation then room temp for pinning/fruiting. The easiest way to get a constant temp is to get two identical tubs, place an aquarium heater inside one tub, fill with enough water so that when the other tub is stacked inside it, the water creeps up to about half way up the sides of the inner tub. Then set the heater to 27C and place the setup in a cool, dark place before placing the jars inside for colonisation.

To initiate pinning, the colonised jars need to be placed in the open with light and average room temps for about a week or until pins begin to show.

When fruiting, get some more tubs (the same sort could be used as the incubator tubs, if you want a bunch of matching tubs at the end of it), place an inch deep of perlite, wet it down and then place the colonised cakes in there (after pinning/birthing). Any that hadn't yet pinned should do so when in the fruiting tubs. The tubs should be put in a well lit area (never in direct sun) with average room temps. They need to be fanned several times a day to remove CO2 build up and should produce fruits within a few weeks.

All this info can be found on the PFTek website, please dont grow illegals with it in Australia tho as this is naughty and dangerous :)