The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
WoodDragon

Smoke treatment

Harrr, me hearties!

She-who-must-be-obeyed is vegetating her paddock's front fenceline, and being a good friend I've chased up a few species of WA vines and shrubs to add a bit of low creeping colour to the banks of earth that are mostly planted with grevilleas and proteas. Some of the seeds require smoke treatment, and I'm wondering whether steeping charcoal from a slow combustion heater would give an effective solution for soaking the seeds? I'm not really set up to use a smoke tent, but if the success rate would be greatly improved I could be convinced... Seems to me though that charcoal and ash must contain reasonable amounts of the butenolides, since it is the ashbeds that rain percolates through to stimulate germination of these type of seeds naturally.

I'm not really inclined to fatten the pockets of nurseries selling what is essentially bong-water.

Hey, would bong-water work?! :wink::bong: I reckon I could convince my sister's ex to part with some!

Cheers,

Woody.

Harrr, me hearties!

She-who-must-be-obeyed is vegetating her paddock's front fenceline, and being a good friend I've chased up a few species of WA vines and shrubs to add a bit of low creeping colour to the banks of earth that are mostly planted with grevilleas and proteas. Some of the seeds require smoke treatment, and I'm wondering whether steeping charcoal from a slow combustion heater would give an effective solution for soaking the seeds? I'm not really set up to use a smoke tent, but if the success rate would be greatly improved I could be convinced... Seems to me though that charcoal and ash must contain reasonable amounts of the butenolides, since it is the ashbeds that rain percolates through to stimulate germination of these type of seeds naturally.

I'm not really inclined to fatten the pockets of nurseries selling what is essentially bong-water.

Hey, would bong-water work?! :wink::bong: I reckon I could convince my sister's ex to part with some!

Cheers,

Bong water DOES work a treat.

Woody.

I remember having to do an experiment when I was doing horticulture at TAFE showing the effectiveness of smoke treatment on natives and it definately does increase germination rate.

The teacher said it could basically be prepared at home by bubbling smoke through water alluding to bongs. I'd imagine it would definately work.