The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
random fly

Peat as substrate

I got the idea from the home grow mushroom kits for A. bisporus (button mushroom) which consist of peat and spawn.

Agaricus bisporus are secondary decomposers... so are many other mushrooms that we enjoy!

I'm thinking about making an outdoor bed made with layers of peat and a little composted straw/manure, sandwiching a layer of teonancatl spawn.

The reason I'm so interested in this is that peat is more like earth than compost, and so it would make for a mushroom bed that could be integrated into the garden much quicker than just compost which would not be able to support plant life.

Mixing greater ratios of soil into the substrate at closer proximity to the surface could mean introducing plants as soon as the mushroom bed is made... and maybe some interesting myco-floral relationships could ensue.

I got the idea from the home grow mushroom kits for A. bisporus (button mushroom) which consist of peat and spawn.

With those home grow boxes, the peat is in a seperate bag, not mixed in the substrate - and is used as a casing layer.

Peat isn't used IN the substrate, though I'm sure a little wouldn't hurt at all, there just wouldn't be a lot of reason to.