The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Echinacea

I am currently growing Echinacea purpurea and I need information about the usage of the plant.

I have been told i can dry the leaves out and have a teaspoon a day of dry leaf, but i have also been told that the seeds in the flowers can be used in the tea. One of the plants is flowering but i don't know where the seeds are ment to be. Could someone please clarify what i need to do.

The seeds are in the spiral pattern which is surrounded by the dried petals (like a sunflower really). The seeds are square shaped at the top and run to a tip. Also, the seed top might still contain some reminant flower structures/material.

The part to use with Echinacea angustifolia (probably the same as with E. purpurea) is the root/tuber. The other parts should be active but less so.

Break off a bit of the root and chew on it.(keep the rest for next season to regrow the flowers, unless you have enough seeds and can get good germination rates).

When it is strong you will know it, as it tingles the tongue.

But, I am by no means an Echinacea expert so if anyone wants to correct me go ahead.

E D

[ 20. May 2003, 19:17: Message edited by: Ed Dunkel ]