The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chugga

Taking Pups off Main Loph

Howdy All,

I have few Loph's that are bursting at the seems with pups at the moment. I was thinking of taking a few off and seeing if I could establish some new stand alone versions. Is it a matter of taking the pup off, allowing it to callous up and then planting? Is it the right time of year for this? They live outside so my concern is how they will go when it cools off. I would like to graft but i really need to study up a little more at this stage. As you can probably tell I havent tried this before and i'm not really to interested in butchering them for the sake of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Chugga

Edited by Chugga

sorry,

here is a pic for size

main one approx

15mm

post-4049-1206853923_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chugga

get some pereskiopsis, chop off the pups and graft them.

grafting doesn't sound all that hard. there's a chance of failure, but the same can be said of trying to root the pup.. and the outcome is better if the graft works.

from what i gather.. use razorblade from a face razor. let the pere's growing medium dry out for a few days before doing the graft (reduces chance of graft being pushed off).. keep it humid by covering with a bottle or something and misting it. yeah when you slice the scion, leave it on the razor, and slide it directly onto the rootstock from the razor.

yeah in theory, pretty straightforward. better sterilise that razor too.

keep it humid AFTER grafting, to stop the scion drying out too fast before it has joined.

keep it humid AFTER grafting, to stop the scion drying out too fast before it has joined.

Thaks for the tips. I have seen pleanty here on grafting. I'll traul back through the threads and have a go.

On the grafts, would they go ok this time of year outdoors leading up to winter?

Chugga

On the grafts, would they go ok this time of year outdoors leading up to winter?

Err... I'd think you need to keep them both warm and humid. Probably indoors, heated, and in some sort of humidity tent to boot. I can't see the outdoors doing them any favours, unfortunately. But then again, I *do* live south of Melbourne. By default our weather is hostile to many cacti. :lol: