The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Lachy

Slow Pereskiopsis

I've got a number of Pereskiopsis plants (bought from SAB) that are throwing out shoots, and ideally I'd like to use them as grafting stocks in the future. That's all well and good, however... they are growing very slowly. Each shoot, at the most, has grown maybe two or three inches over this summer.

Now, I'm used to cacti growing slowly - I've got something like 300 assorted cacti here - and I think that I'm reasonably familiar with this family's growth habits, but... I'm lead to believe that peres are supposed to be much faster than this. The plants get a good drenching every week, and get seaweed emulsion fertilliser once a fortnight during the growing season. They get plenty of light, and spend their time sitting on a sunny deck all day long.

My other cacti are thriving, and yet... these ones aren't. What am I doing wrong? Would I be better cutting off the new growth and trying to root it separately?

Cheers for any help... I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Try growing them with less direct sun light. If grown in hot, direct sun they will become leggy with much smaller leaves & they also develop large sharp thorns when grown that way, makes them even more annoying to handle than just having those damn glochids present. In a partial shade position, with good light they will have a much more lush dark green & thicker growth with only an occasional thorn, perfect for grafting :wink: Generally they will appreciate more watering and feeding than other cacti. You don't even need to grow them in cacti mix. They seem to prefer a good quality general purpose potting mix.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

So, basically, treat them just like any other plant but not like a cactus? :lol:

I might re-pot them this weekend and see how they go. Cheers for the advice.

Try upping temperature and humidity. Mine grow nutz at 35 deg C with sopping wet roots :)

I had the same problem - I was starting to worry that my growing skills didn't even extend to the growing of pereskiopsis!! I was treating them like cacti and letting the roots dry out etc. anyway I cut off the small (small leaved) shoots and repotted into a premium non cacti potting mix and into larger pots ( 85 x 85 mm square pots) I keep the roots constantly wet and they are growing very quick - the orignal leaves were small and stumpy and the new ones are huge

- I would consider repotting yours into a good medium and give then heaps of water - I grow mine inside and have them sitting in plastic tubs - as soon as the top of the potting mix starts to show signs of drying I water again - they are loving it.

- I also had some grafts that i thought didn't takee but they have started growing after repotting into a good rich mix.

good luck :)

Cheers for the advice. The plants are now growing in a slightly more shady (albeit still well-lit) spot, and are getting far more water. Hopefully I'll observe some solid growth before winter hits.

Thanks again. :)