The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Lachy

Looking for mugwort seeds

G'day all. I'm searching for mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) seed. I've pestered the local nurseries and they certainly don't seem to carry many Artemisias, let alone this species, so I thought I'd put some feelers out into the community to see if you guys can help.

Thanks very much. :)

I found some growing in my backyard of the place I'm renting but it hasn't gone to seed yet. Remind me later in Autum and I'll send you some seeds or I can try to dig up a small plant (harder to post than seeds though).

That would be brilliant, mate. Seeds would be fine... I wouldn't ask you to post a whole plant in the mail. B)

yeah... i let some go to seed this year... but didnt seem to get any seed (an oxymoron??) not sure how this one is pollinated... but ill double check tomozzle :)

I haven't noticed them going to seed either which makes me wonder if we both don't have Artemisia verlotiorum because it reproduces mainly by stolons rather than seeds.

There is an article on it indicating that it certainly has plenty of alpha-thujone: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa40...09/ai_n17197149 So I don't think it is a great loss if it turns out to be verlotiorum rather than vulgaris (other than the fact that it makes posting the seeds hard as there won't be any ).

That's alright guys. I'm going to drive down and chat with the people at Diggers in a couple of weeks, so I'll try them as well.

I haven't noticed them going to seed either which makes me wonder if we both don't have Artemisia verlotiorum because it reproduces mainly by stolons rather than seeds.

There is an article on it indicating that it certainly has plenty of alpha-thujone: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa40...09/ai_n17197149 So I don't think it is a great loss if it turns out to be verlotiorum rather than vulgaris (other than the fact that it makes posting the seeds hard as there won't be any ).

thanks for pointing out that possibility yeti :)

Well, Diggers wasn't any help, although I did buy some other nice ethnos from them after a very soothing walk around the gardens at Heronswood.

So therefore I put the word out again: if you have any mugwort seed spare, or some plants you could divide, I'm still in the market for them.

Thanks very much.

i know aus has terrible import laws(im in the US), would a perfectly legal and clean plant make it through? ive got some varigated mugwort plants.

my mugwort is a few years old and i now get the odd plant come up by itself.

i always let the flowers fully mature before i harvest.

its so easy just to dig up a sucker.

have at least 500gm maybe a k of whole flowering above ground plant available.

absinthium too

t s t .

Daylight, Customs and or Quarantine would probably be less than happy with you mailing a plant, however tempting your offer is. Customs would probably confuse it with some sort of illicit drug, and Quarantine would freak at the thought of anything biological reaching our shores. So I'll have to decline your kind offer, but thanks anyway.

t s t, PM headed your way. B)