The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

Plant barn find..

Question

I realise this is a little small to id, but the label says pachanoi.... doubt it...

_MG_0345.jpg

3 answers to this question

Looks like a Peruvianoid to me. Though San Pedro seedlings alot of time don't really look like San Pedro that much (they are usually hybrids). Well here in Aus (I assume NZ too?) anyway, we seem to have one main clone that will not fertilise itself. Seems like all the pedro we have is all the same plant, just spread out over many years of cultivation/propagation. They more readily hybridise with other cacti. I would grow that plant on and see what she turns into. Looks like she will become an attractive specimen in time.

I like to propagate San Pedro seed from time to time when available, it's a bit like a Trich lucky dip and you never know what you are going to get. Mixes things up a bit and adds a bit of variety into the collection too.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Looks like a Peruvianoid to me. Though San Pedro seedlings alot of time don't really look like San Pedro that much (they are usually hybrids). Well here in Aus (I assume NZ too?) anyway, we seem to have one main clone that will not fertilise itself. Seems like all the pedro we have is all the same plant, just spread out over many years of cultivation/propagation. They more readily hybridise with other cacti. I would grow that plant on and see what she turns into. Looks like she will become an attractive specimen in time.

I like to propagate San Pedro seed from time to time when available, it's a bit like a Trich lucky dip and you never know what you are going to get. Mixes things up a bit and adds a bit of variety into the collection too.

Yah, my feelings also. The pic actually doesn't do the spines on top justice, they're really bright red. Hope it keeps the red spines on new growth as it gets older :D

Yah,The pic actually doesn't do the spines on top justice, they're really bright red.

wasnt teotz after this one? :)