The Corroboree
mutant

'Chacruna ' false Psychotria viridis seed vegetated...

hmmm it really looks like a Diplo...

But i never saw young Diplopteris, so i can't be 100% sure. Diplopteris grow in a wine like fashion (in fact it really looks a Caapi vine with more leathery leaves) but it keeps a bush appearance, it is very special and difficult to describe but if you check on this blog there a pictures of a mature plant:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...;blogid=67&

I don't think that your plants is a Psychotria, if you have a dry weather the leaves would be wrinkled and deformed even with Cartaginensis.

I will try to keep you updated. The base of the stem seems to have been become more woody...

Well here are the updates as I promised.

The plant is throwing branches :)

dscn3666oi0.th.jpgdscn3667nl7.th.jpgdscn3668dz0.th.jpg

it's pretty clear by now that it's propably NOT a psychotria... Vains in leaf are not so 'symmetrical' and not so 'bold' as well.

Edited by mutant

very promising...

It has the same kind of green i remember seeing on D. Cabrerana in Peru and your plant is showing a Caapi-like structure wich is characteristic of D.C as well...

Nice looking plant, I don't know what it is but it isn't DC... My digital camera is in the shop and hopefully they can fix it... Let my kids use it and...well, see what happens?

Anyway, hopefully I can retrieve it in a couple of days and take some shots of fresh cuttings growing as well as the very large, older plants and post them here.

:( uhm... could it be some other diplo or what?? anyways, I will grow it definately, I now have to know what it is :)

Mutant, the only diplo I know of is DC.... but interestingly enough, in one reference book I have, I discover that this plant also grows in Mexico.

Harvard Papers in Botany

Article: pp. 1–16 | Abstract | PDF (2.72M)

EXPANSION OF DIPLOPTERYS AT THE EXPENSE OF BANISTERIOPSIS (MALPIGHIACEAE)

William R. Anderson1 and Charles C. Davis2

Phylogenetic analyses of molecular and morphological data have shown the genus Banisteriopsis to be polyphyletic and the genus Diplopterys to be nested within Banisteriopsis subg. Pleiopterys, which is not in the clade that contains the type of the name Banisteriopsis. Therefore, it is necessary to take up the name Diplopterys for the small genus formerly called that plus subg. Pleiopterys of Banisteriopsis. A description of the amplified genus Diplopterys is provided, two new species are described (D. bahiana and D. carvalhoi), and the following new combinations in Diplopterys are proposed, with all combinations by W. R. Anderson and C. Cav. Davis: D. amplectens, D. cachimbensis, D. caduciflora, D. cristata, D. erianthera, D. heterostyla, D. hypericifolia, D. krukoffii, D. leiocarpa, D. longialata, D. lucida, D. lutea, D. nigrescens, D. nutans, D. patula, D. peruviana, D. platyptera, D. populifolia, D. pubipetala, D. rondoniensis, D. schunkei, D. sepium, D. valvata, D. virgultosa, and D. woytkowskii. Illustrations are provided for D. bahiana, D. cabrerana, D. carvalhoi, D. pauciflora, D. pubipetala, and D. valvata.

Keywords: Banisteriopsis, Diplopterys, Malpighiaceae

DOI: 10.3100/1043-4534(2006)95[1:EODATE]2.0.CO;2

Taken from

http://www.bioone.org/perlserv/?request=ge...TE%5D2.0.CO%3B2

I discover that this plant also grows in Mexico

this?? you mean my plant? or DC?

Free man, a full abstract? thanks anyway, I will try to see if I can get it

the DC, according to the late Allen Gentry.

FreeMan, thanks for the abstract!

Forget where I saw this exactly.. anyway, DC is vine like but does not enlace like a vine does... so it's not really a climber.

Edited by shoemaker

Sorry, you definitely don't have a Psychotria on your hands or a cappi. As for Diplotery... I haven't seen this one in several years, but I know a few who still grow it. Pass a picture to me and I'll get an I.D. for you. A source, while not required... could also turn out some more clues. Its not a cappi either, so... I'd hate to see you get rid of this one before you get a positive I.D. Definitely promising.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet that you should keep this one safe and far from injury. I might even consider getting this one a larger pot and laying it down on its side so you can form a larger root base and send up a few more shoots when you get the chance. Nice prospect and another good reason for growing from seed. I know a few vendors grow their Psychotria too close together and hence have a few variable seedlings so while the mother may be known... the father is always in question when you have more than one variety and no system to prevent cross pollination.

Thanks for input man, I am surely NOT giving this up. And sure, it's moving to a bigger pot as soon as the weather is better. I forwarded the details...

Edited by lsdreamz