The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

Would you get a PS3 over a 360 this year?

I know this is a common discussion but I would like to hear from people here.

Now that 2008 looks to be the PS3's big year with lots of good titles being released like Metal gear solid 4, Haze, Killzone2, Time Crisis 4 (with new Guncom) and lots of others, would you consider swapping over from the 360?

I have the option of swapping my 360 for a PS3 and to be honest for the first time Im having a hard time choosing.

Keep in mind that I have no plans to mod a 360 any time soon and I have played halo3 plenty so that takes those 2 out of the equasion.

I saw something on tv about problems with the 360. a software prob i think. lotsa pissed off customers. Not sure if its relevant but at least its a chance for me to slag microsoft. :lol:

Im more than happy with my PS3. Running it on sony bravia lcd and full HD games are fantastic. Flow and feeling are typical playstation, just smoother and more accurate. I think the 360 generates more shades of blacks/grey but dont know much more than that. PS3 frame rate seems fine, havent seen any stressing moments yet.

Dont know if the new time crisis will work on LCD's tho??

Im bias from a nintendoo and sony heritage anyways, so i really didnt give the 360 a look in. More for mod heads im thinking.

Come to the dark side Andy... the dark side.... :)

BD

I know of 2, no make that 3 360s that have died for no apparent reason.

I would swap the 360 for the PS3, sell the PS3 on ebay and then buy cacti. :P

asdas

Edited by Teljkon

Are you saying that you belive that the 360 has less good titles at the moment compared to the PS3? Seriously?

I think that may be the case buy the end of the year but I dont think that rings true at the moment, what PS3 titles are you reffering to, maybe Im missing some?

what is the controller like?

TBH the controller is why x-box has always aimed ps but i haven't seen the new one.

ps 1/2 controllers are garbage.

Controls are almost like the PS2, bit better, more ergonomic and wider i think. Nice enough if your used to the ol PS. Pretty much the same layout, twin trigger buttoms on each upper side and left/right tilt sensor for some driving games etc. Response is good, havent had any lag going on with the cordless controller. You can turn off the system remotely, great for lazy ass gamers who dont want to get up to turn on/off their system! :)

I have only used Xbox a few times and found the controller awkward. Doesnt mean much coming from me tho..

it's the sticks on PS that i can't stand. they're good for driving games, but horrible for shooters. halo would have been a total flop on PS.

on the topic of controllers, these days you can get a computer mouse with buttons to change the sensitivity on the fly, for instance, leave it on fast-aiming when you're going tommy-gun berserker style, then increase the sensitivity when you switch to sniper.

i got a wii and besides the delay in games coming out i couldnt be happier. was thinking of getting a ps3 but its not backward compatible so i'd have to keep my ps2... i've got so many systems i dont wanna do that.

The 360s have an over heating problem. its pretty much garanteed that a 360 will die at one point. Also, Blu ray has won the format war and the ps3 is the cheapest blu ray player.

it all comes down to the games. what system has the games you want to play ? i have a nice pc for my "serious" games and the wii for the fun games. but if i had to choose between a 360 and a ps3, i'd go the ps3.

Well, the 360 doesnt really have an over heating issue any more (Falcon Mobo) mine runs cool as, but they certainly dont have a quality build.

If you have a look at the smashmyps3 series the pS3 takes a heap of hits with a sledge hammer before it caves but the 360 and the wii fall to bits pretty quick.

Yeah, basicly, I think Im going to play the shit out of the games I have then get the ps3 in 10 days when the return date is up :)

The controller for the ps3 should be good once the vibration controller is released.

Simon are you sure that PS3 isn't backwards compatible? I was under the impression that it was :scratchhead: Don't own one obviously but I have played one a bit. PS3's controller is a hell of a lot lighter than the 360's and it's supposed to have the 6-axis control function as well doesn't it? PS3's controller is much more awkward to use over time I found.

The new 360's ship with a revised motherboard that has seen very few returns compared to the original release. If you buy a new one now I wouldn't be worried about an overheating issue as this has been resolved at this point.

As far as games go, both have some good titles but the 360 has overall better quality games. I don't think the quality is as high as the original but I am getting older and don't seem to enjoy gaming as much anymore :rolleyes: .Used to be able to play all day and half the night day after day, now I get bored after a couple of hours and won't go back for a few days. If I find a good game like Mass Effect then I get into it but thats getting rare now.

To much jap crap games on the PS3, I find they really are pointless.

If its true that the PS3 isn't backwards compatible then the only thing going for the PS3 is the internal BlueRay HD drive. The 360 has an external one but that is cumbersome IMO. I find it strange that Microsoft would revise the 360 design to include a HDMI output but neglect to uograde to an internal HD drive.

Anyway thats the pros and cons as I see it.

The 80/60gb Ps3 had a card reader, 4usb ports and hardware based emulation for ps2/1 games which upscaled but was also around the $900 mark.

It wasnt selling so they reduced the price down to the $700 mark and the specs down with it to a 40gb HDD, no card reader, 2 usb ports and software based emulation which is meant to suck.

Some of the other good things is that it takes laptop HDD drives, plays SA-CD and blue ray (although youll be able to get a standalone for $200 by the years end), has free online gaming + keyboard and mouse support along with support for WinXP and Linux.

I think Ill revise my thoughts and play all the titles I like on the xbox and then sell it. after all, most of the good ps3 games wont be out until march april and further anyway.

Shouldnt loose more than the cost of 1 new game.

Thanks for your thoughts. christ Im a fickle bastard.

asd

Edited by Teljkon

YEah, thats right, there is a 20gb version out too that has no backward compatability at all and I think missing a couple of other things on the 40gb version as well, WiFi maybe?

But the 40gb is still only software based emulation and as you say cant play all titles.

The 60/80gb units went off the market around begining of December lastyear, I saw one selling for around $1300 on Ebay mid December! Crazy shit, amazing the way people will kill for something once its not available. LOL.

asdadsa

Edited by Teljkon

Simon are you sure that PS3 isn't backwards compatible? I was under the impression that it was :scratchhead:

software emulation, and only for a small amount of games. might as well be non-existant. the budget versions have no software emu.

australia gets screwed all the time by the console makers. im still waiting for no more heros to come out on the wii (its out in japan and the us),. and dont mention smash bros brawl... sob sob sob