The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
elfwhisper

Tropical Acacia's auriculiformis and magnium

Greetings all,

Someone was wondering if anyone knew about lycaeum's claim (no refs) of 5-meo in A. Auriculiformis and whether any other alkaloids (active or non) were known through anecdotal info or otherwise

Also anyone know about A. Magnium and the wiki's reference to being "psychoactive" the information coming from a German ethnobotanical book or similiar.

Thank you all for doing what you do,

Edited by elfwhisper

I am also inetrsted in any reports of auricfolia, it seems its the only realy option for us FNQers.

It seems there doesn't appear to be a reilbale source on this..

auriculiformis has been mentioned as an indigenous analgesic though it looks like it has a new medicinal use.

Patent title: Pharmaceutical composition having virucidal and spermicidal activity

Inventors: Syed Nazrul Kabir Heramba Nanda Ray Bikash C. Pal Debashis Mitra

Agents: LADAS & PARRY LLP

Assignees:

Origin: NEW YORK, NY US

IPC8 Class: AA61K31704FI

USPC Class: 514 26

Abstract:

Acaciaside-B (Ac-B) has emerged as a prospective candidate molecule for prevention of HIV infection along with potential for use as/in vaginal contraceptive/formulation. It possesses anti-HIV property at a tolerably low concentration, is non-mutagenic and does not harm the niche of Lactobacilli. Thus Ac-B appears to be a superior ingredient for formulations of a chemical barrier against HIV-1 infection wherein its spermicidal property is superfluous.

[0046]The air-dried and powdered seeds of A. auriculiformis were extracted with methanol. The combined methanolic extracts were evaporated to dryness, dissolved in water and partitioned between chloroform and n-butanol. The butanol fraction was chromatographed over silica gel eluting with solvent chloroform, chloroform-methanol (4:1), chloroform-methanol (7:3) and chloroform-methanol (1:1). The combined chloroform-methanol (7:3 and 1:1) fraction was rechromatographed to yield TLC homogeneous saponins. HPLC analysis of this glycoside fraction showed to be a mixture of two compounds. Preparative HPLC of this mixture with the help of reverse phase C-18 Bondapack column with solvent system methanol-water (7:30) afforded Acaciaside-A and Acaciaside-B.

[0047]Yield: From 1 kg seeds about 190 g methanolic extract was available which on further elution (a) with n-Butanol yielded 48 g of a mixture of which 5.84% was Acaciaside-A and 11.93% was Acaciaside-B; (B) with water yielding an aqueous fraction of which 38.11% was Acaciaside-B. This fraction was termed as B-enriched fraction (Ac-B-en-frn). Pure compounds were separated from the butanolic aqueous fraction. The elution of the methanolic extract with ethyl acetate yielded about 15 g of a product which did not possess any spermicidal property.

full text - http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080300197

'auriculiformis has been mentioned as an indigenous analgesic though it looks like it has a new medicinal use.'

Yeah pretty interesting

But nar, I haven't had any luck finding any detailed info on alkaloid concentrations in these plants either.

There has to be info somewhere so I'll let you know if I have any luck.

I found this list of dmt containing plants on another forum, which seems quite comprehensive

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthrea...ge=2&t=8680

But still doesn't have the stats for our FNQ acacias. Other than A. falcata, Acacia melanoxylon (both less than 0.02% alkaloids).

But nar, I haven't had any luck finding any detailed info on alkaloid concentrations in these plants either.

There has to be info somewhere so I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Well this dude i met at the pub said he tried a 300g extraction on 2 different trees 25+ km's away from each other and yielded around 50mg of some sort of chemical but was non active.

So it could contain actives but i have my doubts about the trees around n-qld