The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
herbal_hindsight

Am I a Euphorbia and if so what species?

Question

I recently got this cacti from ebay and the seller named it as being a cereus which its obviously not... they also mentioned candelabra was in the name somehow.. despite it looking like one i doubt this... does anyone on this forum have any clue as to what this is? I'm thinking possibly a Euphorbia but haven't been able to narrow it down.

Your help will be appreciated..

thanks

0207_1.JPG

5 answers to this question

Its an euphoria lactea, a nice cactus that has a beautiful crested form that I enjoy owning 2 of. watch out for that latex/sap though its not a nice thing to get in your spine scratches let along your eyes or mouth.

Some euphorbia such as e.virosa has latex so toxic it is used as arrow tip poison.

Euphorbia lactea, and sometimes named the 'Elk horn'

euphorbia_lactea.jpg

The pic in post #2 looks like a Euphorbia Trigona, and is different to the plant in pic #1 imo....

Edited by ReclusE

The pic in post #2 looks like a Euphorbia Trigona, and is different to the plant in pic #1 imo....

I am still actually awaiting on it's arrival so once it arrives i'll take a few better photos of it... this is the picture supplied by the ebay seller.

and AndyAmine the link you pasted doesn't work....

User's profile is suspended

The user has suspended his own account.

Thanks anyway :)

Edited by herbal_hindsight

IME Trigona has a lot of vestigial leafy bits and doesn't grow in the same way.

But yeah, the top pic doesn't have any at all but I would have put that down to growth conditions because my crests has bits of standard growth coming off of it that is also lacking the leaflets.

However I am renowned for getting my Id's wrong, so I really shouldn't have sounded so sure of my self in the above post, LOL.