The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Monkey Shines

Poppy seed viability

Guest Monkey Shines

If someone was to harvest the latex from a poppy seed capsule would it affect the viability of the seed inside?

Whats up with the forum password stuff? I stopped posting for a while and when I came back there was a forum password thing.

The seeds are produced on the inner walls of the capsule.

Assuming the poppy pod was immature, if lanced lightly as to not break through the pod, then only a slight deformation in the shape of the pod would occur.

Seeds won't form properly if your pods are all hacked up, however if the cut/s heals & necrosis does not consume the pod, some seeds may survive to maturity.

So to sum it up (YaaWnnn)...My advice is this.

Unless it is a high yielding strain or you have many (or both) it is pretty much a waste of time to collect latex in this manner (although it make the most delightful addition to a cigarette if you having a few nice drinks etc, so I'm told wink.gif

Opium/ morphine are quite soluble in water, ethanol & acetone(I think?).

So if you want seeds, let the pods mature then have your way with them.

If it's traditional nice tasting smoke your after (lance away).

On a similar note...500g or so of seeds & warm water makes a very nice, brown beverage, the warm water will soak into the seeds (the right seeds wink.gif, a day or two later these seeds can be spread anywhere and everywhere, the seeds will germinate within a week (if kept moist) and you will have never seen so many poppies in all your life (not on your doorstep anyway).

Well that's what the llama says.

Oh yeah, he also noticed that a whole shitload of seeds from a November extraction have just sprouted up, (which was quite astonishing, given the on/ off rains).

thick like alfalfa moss.