The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

A Frequently Asked Question

I got myself some Charlie Carp as everyone talks it up, seasol was cheaper, I could've got that instead.

The only slow release I have at the moment is some Nitrophoskate, seems to have a good balance, contents was posted ^^^.

There's so many varieties of osmocote just none for cacti and succulents, what's a a cactus more similar to, roses or garden beds? or the 1000 other varieties of the stuff. Wtf am i meant to base its cactus-love on?

Maybe these are the questions no one knows and it is an eternal mystery...

still thanks for the feedback, seems its a very DIY process where different mixes work for different people.

Ok... so what I've got

Premium potting mix - Premium!!!! :lol:

Compost

Coir/Peat

TopSoil

soon to be crushed limestone

soon to be crushed terracotta pots

Sand / Gravel

Rocks all range of sizes.

I figure the acidity of the peat will counteract the overly basic soil. I can always later add more limestone chips or peatmoss to balance it out, although the peat would be harder to mix in later on, compared to the smaller chips of limestone.

I'll mix the organics in equal parts, and the soil, crushed limestone, clay chips, and gravely sand in equal parts.

The tendency with gravel is it's heavy and may sink and create a thick layer with no aeration, same with sand, I didn't get propagation sand as it was pretty expensive for just sand. anyway hopefully with all the fibery coir stuff and all the other chunks of rock there will be enough drainage and enough organics and this garden will crank!

Seeing as no-one here can make decisions for me I'll probably opt for some standardish Osmocote slow release fert, or if my test cacti survive I'll keep cranking the Nitrophoskate. Actually for anybody that has incorporated a slow release fert into their pre-planting soil mix, anything that didn't kill your cactus let us know and I'll copy you, rather not risk the nitro as it kills native trees. With the slow release I take it you only ever apply that in the original mix?? or would one add a layer on the top over time?

Cheers again for the replies.

Osmocote Vegetable and Bedding might be the best for cactus but use at 1/4 recommended strength. It's got a balanced ratio (14-14-14 NPK), whereas other osmocotes have high nitrogen ratios.

Charlie Carp and Seasol are very different. Charlie Carp has higher nitrogen levels than Seasol (which has almost no nitrogen), so may not be the best to use frequently on your cacti.

Osmocote Vegetable and Bedding might be the best for cactus but use at 1/4 recommended strength. It's got a balanced ratio (14-14-14 NPK), whereas other osmocotes have high nitrogen ratios.

Cheers I'll probably grab me some of that then.

Just looked at the Nitrophoskate, it has a ratio of N/P/K of 16/3/12 %

Lacking phosophorous and a bit too much nitrogen but almost balanced.

I forgot to mention I'm going to use a small amount of blood and bone as I don't have plain bone meal and I'm guessing they'd both be good anyway.

One last probably very stupid question.

I have a few potted cacti that are definitely well rooted. Some have a lopsided rooting where one side of the cactus could be pulled out but the other is attatched by roots. Figured I'd give it a fresh cut and re-callouse.

For all the other well-rooted ones is there any point in removing the soil from the roots and transplanting into a better soil mixture? At the moment it's a mix of equal parts, soil/perlite/sand + rocks.

Wat's the point of vermiculite? I think I've got enough parts to my mix already and the soil + compost is enough organic stuff I'm thinking, i just read vermiculite acts as a temporary nutrient buffer sort of thing. Where it'd hold it and allow the roots to absorb it.

40 litres of potting mix (cheap shit) 1o litres of vrmiculite 10 litres perlite nothing fancy and charlie carp and seasol! i dont see any need to get fancy but hey each to his own my cactus booming no probs throo winter and happy growers

Hows this for a complex mix. :P

post-1464-1195367811_thumb.jpg

IMG_0014_1.JPG

IMG_0014_1.JPG

Edited by Passive Daemon

man passive you got some good photos lately.

any idea what that one is in that photo i cant put my finger on it.

Im pretty sure its a bridge hybrid Hebs.

40 litres of potting mix (cheap shit) 1o litres of vrmiculite 10 litres perlite nothing fancy and charlie carp and seasol! i dont see any need to get fancy but hey each to his own my cactus booming no probs throo winter and happy growers

How often do you use charlie / seasol ? I'm starting to freak out with all the options. If I use half the recommended strength ozmocote slow release + I have chipped limestone (calcium carbonate + magnesium) + some blood and bone (i have no bone meal) that might be oversaturating with ferts.

however with enough Soil/Compost + Aeration (Clay chips + Sand/gravel + Chipped Limestone) it should be well balanced. Once I figure out my ratios I'll start a pictorial of the process and have a grow log as I hope my babies boost! - dammit! remembered my camera is cactus.

I though 'CSS' was Chemical Shaman's Semen. Plants really seem to appreciate a nice shot o' wad.

EDIT: Sorry, dude, you know it's not like me to hijack for some useless crap, but that was wide open and nobody hit it :lol:

heheh heh you a sick sick man Mr Monk....

'shot o' wad'...now that could be a good brand name, CS got some bottles?

Edited by SanwraitH