The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
occidentalis

Alan Jones says something intelligent

PM calls for zero tolerance on drugs

Patricia Karvelas, Political correspondent | October 18, 2007

JOHN Howard yesterday launched an extraordinary attack on Australians for glamorising drugs, saying users should be treated as "pariahs" alongside smokers.

Speaking after West Coast Eagles star Ben Cousins's arrest on a drugs charge in Perth on Tuesday, the Prime Minister called for "uncompromising social condemnation of drugs".

"All drugs are evil," he said, questioning why Australians did not have the "same attitude towards drugs that a large section of the community has developed towards tobacco".

"It's become virtually a criminal offence for people to smoke. I used to smoke ... now you're a pariah if you smoke. The point I'm making is if we have the same social attitude towards these damn drugs as many people have towards tobacco you might have a bit less glamour."

Mr Howard said Cousins's alleged use of drugs was a "personal tragedy for a very talented man" but the AFL should be as tough as it needed to be to root out drug-taking in the sport.

But conservative Sydney radio host Alan Jones said yesterday that drug use in the community was widespread and the Government was "not winning" the fight. He questioned whether drugs should be decriminalised. "We legalise alcohol, which is a drug. Is our strategy (on other drugs) wrong? We spend a fortune on what we are doing now and we are simply not winning ... We are going to have to listen to the other side."

The Prime Minister said the zero-tolerance drugs policy he had pushed during his time in government had been proved right, even though it had been ridiculed by people including some in his own party.

"They were wrong," he said. "I would just say to the young of Australia, who admire their sports men and women: most of them don't have drug problems, most of them don't need drugs."

He said Australians had to stop glamorising drug use by calling them recreational drugs and party drugs.

Mr Howard, whose comments also come after two children were given ecstasy by a fellow pupil at a Wollongong school, said he was proud of the Government's "in-your-face provocative ads" against drugs.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...5013404,00.html

I like it how they just had to mention that two children were given 'ecstacy' at school...

So I suppose he has given up drinking since those days I saw him publicly sinking tinnies on TV? :scratchhead:

And what about the 'just letting off steam' comment re: boozing soldiers dressing up as KKK?

I don't even think he knows what a 'drug' is given his absolute nonsensical talkings in that article, it literally makes no sense at all.

So is tobacco a 'drug' or isn't it?

And I believe it was the authorities and media calling substances 'recreational' and 'party' 'drugs'.

And since when are sports people the models of society? I don't even like organised sport and or have ever looked up to them as a role model even though I love to live a fit and healthy life.

And does he realise what happens during season and at the end of season for sports teams, official country or local teams? Alcohol imbibing functions that are funded by the clubs themselves who get corporate sponsorship from companies that produce alcohol? umm VB and the cricket? One too many drinks Mr Howard you are slurring your words...

How can such an ignorant person control a country? I would laugh if it wasn't so depressingly shocking, it literally rips the heart out of intelligent members of this society who only want to see a better world for everyone, including the people they disagree with and who dictate how others should live their lives.

I suppose the title answers my questions.

Now all I need to find is a crying emoticon.