The Corroboree
Sparkster

Books that changed you

Lots of Stephen King books in some of the ideas he's etched into my brain; eg the end of It (the Deadlights and the zooming through the universe), Insomnia and dreaming/auras, Tommyknockers and the aliens, The Dark Tower (LOTS of interesting philosophies incorporated), The Jaunt and it's vision of a kind of space/time travel... I could go on, the man was a genius when gooched up to the gills on sweet '70s drugs.

Watership Down by Richard Adams and Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. Perspectives from animals. I read both of these before I was ten and I think all kids should read at least one book from animals' POV.

Schindlers List and The Satanic Verses opened my eyes that a "popular" novel isn't necessarily "good."

The Power Of One/Tandia by Bryce Courtenay, read when I was a teen and cemented from an early age the knowledge that the colour of one's skin is both literally and figuratively superficial. Also good ones for teens for that reason I think.

Seth Speaks. I read this recently; supposedly a personality-soul channelled through a lady called Jane Roberts in the 70s. Personally very enlightening for me and a LOT of it rang true and I even had some epiphanical/euphorical moments whilst reading it. Calmed me down a lot.

Many Lives Many Masters by Dr Brian Weiss. A well respected psychiatrist's notes on a lady patient's hypnotherapy sessions in which she appeared to regress back to many past lives. Very interesting!

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart. A novel based on the idea of a psychiatrist using the roll of a die to determine actions he made including rape, murder, what he would eat for dinner etc. Fascinating to wonder about choice, chance, and fate.

Man, so many books over the years I can't remember them all. Wish I could read as much as I used to. Not for lack of time, I just can't seem to sit and be absorbed in them as much as I used to as a kid and teen.

OK so I work in a library so I'm good at this:

there's been some really good classics:

Tao Te Ching

I would also recommend the works of Nagarjuna

American literature:

BUKOWSKI -as much as you can read

Neo-Advaita

Leo Hartong: Awaken to the Dream

I think in developmental order so far my major "awakening" authors have been: "Dahl, Hesse, Dostoyevsky, Bukowski"

Bukowski comes in especially useful when you begin the "turn" from reader to "writer".