The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DragonFyre

Salvia rot

Guest DragonFyre

I dunno what it is Im doing wrong here but almost everytime I get one of these plants/cuttings they just end up rotting and once they've started its almost impossible to stop... frown.gif

The cuttings at first were being struck in water but almost 100% rotted... now are struck in a rich medium with almost perfect drainage. Only water with nutrients every second week at half recommended strength... hardly ever water anymore, just mist enough (2-3 x daily) to keep the foliage from drying out completely. I used humidity domes but they just seemed to entice more rot - am now using greenhouse meshing 'sleaves' over the plants to keep the shade or else they just get so badly sunburnt they are dead within half a day (and thats in my shadehouse!)

maybe they just need more ventilation? only thing I can think of but they are already getting good amount of fresh air confused.gif

HELP ME... I dunno what Im doing wrong here and have lost soooo many plants now due to rot its ridiculous!! anything anyone has to offer would be appreciated!

In Qld at this time of year you don't need any extra humidity. just find a shady spot with good ventilation and morning or late afternoon sun. never use domes in the substropics.

for the medium use coarse sharp sand (see propagation section) and water every day or evey second day with town water or boiled water until rooted (5-10 days).

there is plenty of info in the salvia section of this site, incl a propagation page.

Guest DragonFyre

Thanx Torsten... I've read all the propagation pages I can find anywhere on any site already!

The plants are already in my shadehouse (its an open shade house not a green house) in the shadiest part! I tried bring some cuttings indoors to root and they just rotted away within the day... With the medium, I am using coarse sand :coco coir: potting mix at roughly 2:1:1 ratio and it gets heaps of drainage... only use boiled water from the kettle when watering but I've had to cut watering back now to 2 times a week max(normally atleast every second day for any other plant) and just mist 2-3 times a day to keep them alive otherwise the leaves start wilting and fall off, if they dont get sunburnt first

only thing I can think of is I'm pretty sure I put some water crystals into the potting mix but I've used the same mix for other plants that need good drainage without fail

mad.gif

just wish I could get some decent plants/cuttings underway! I've only had luck with 3 so far out of too many...

[This message has been edited by DragonFyre (edited 03 April 2002).]

I've never needed to mist Savias before, however I'd have slightly higher humidity than most areas of Melbourne (and plenty of shade).

I used a dome for a while to strike cuttings and found that it encouraged rot, so I added one of those small cooling fans and the rot ceased.

Even though you've got a shade house (exposed I assume) a little constant breeze may help?

I've got a spare fan if your interested wink.gif

Are your walls shade cloth, if so from the ground up?

no misting in Qld!! except when it is really hot and dry. Dryness will never kill your plant as long as it has access towater. the leaves might be smaller and twisted, but that is fine. if you keep the plant in a shadehouse then it has 50% or more shade already. it only needs 50%. so by putting it in a shady corner I think you are depriving it. corners also have less air circulation.

don't put coco in the mix. use coarse sand and a pine chip based potting mix (not eucalypt). fertilise only once rooted.

Guest DragonFyre

if I dont mist they'll wilt and die, if I water more they will rot at the roots... putting them anymore in the sun causes them to get burnt within the day - I've had to make small covers using some wire and greenhouse meshing to put over the plants as it is and they are already in the shadehouse... and its very open so there should be NO ventilation problems

With cuttings, they usually do take and show signs of new grow before they start dying off...?

As for the shadehouse its about 3-4 metres wide and say 8-10 metres long, the only greenhouse mesh is on the small southern wall (fully covered, ground up)mainly to block the neighbours view, the northern side's open (though I'm thinking of closing it in with greenhouse meshing as a hot house cuz the northern end gets HEAPS of sun) the western side has a monsterous coral vine growing up on to the roof of the whole structure which casts all the shade and the eastern side is mainly open... I've been thinking of ripping out all the coral vine and planting these HBWR and MG seedlings in its place and letting them take over. Would they be okay getting that much sun? the neighbours on the western side have vines growing almost to the heigh of the shadehouse which would block most of the hot afternoon sun while they were small but once they grew to the roof they would be fully exposed

unless you live west of the range, salvia will not die. it may loose some leaves and then regrow smaller and tougher ones, but it will not die. it will die if the roots dry out.