The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thelema

Buckthorn (lotus-tree) fruit

Guest Thelema

Now there are so many references to this plant throughout history..."the indolent lotus-eaters"

Homer of The Odessey was not referring to the flower(the "lotus") but to fruit of the buckthorn tree, a fruit which was meant to "intoxicate and stupify" its eaters.

Is this no more than fermented fructose, or do these fruit contain more?? The type of inebriation must have been distinguishable from alcohol, otherwise Homer would have written something to the effect of them being "drunk".

Does anyone know where I can obtain Buckthorn fruit? Or has anyone tried it?

Guest reville

While on the discusion of obscure psychoactive trees

any one heard of 'Bekaro' from Pakistan?

is buckthorn - Bursaria spinosa?

if so its at Mt Coot- tha botanic gdns in brizzy

european buckthorn and persian berries are two names for rhammus frangula.the unripe fruit can cause symptoms of poisoning.also r.cathartica and r.purshiana[cascara sagrada,apparently one of the best laxatives].

t s t .

Guest Mesqualero
Originally posted by reville:

While on the discusion of obscure psychoactive trees

any one heard of 'Bekaro' from Pakistan?

is buckthorn - Bursaria spinosa?

if so its at Mt Coot- tha botanic gdns in brizzy

Does this mean that the botanic gardens sells cuttings/seeds or ... that one would just kinda... liberate them from the gardens?

The European lotus tree is Zizyphus lotus. The fruits of the closely related jujube have sedative qualities used in Chinese medicine.

Guest reville

mesqualero

i guess its hypocritical but while i discourage vandalism of botanical gardens that is where i got most of mine from

I used to grab a little of everything

now i realise the mistake and im much more conservative - a fruit here, seed there , a few leaves and perhaps a seedling from benath a mature tree.

take a few leaves off a large healthy bush or collect as much seed as you can grow or give away but please dont dig anything up unless you know that you are both motivated to and capable of suceeding.

The good thing is that most things seed and its never too hard to scheule a trip at the appropriate time of the year.

much to my deep dismay and shame i have killed 2 plants by breaking offshoots from rootballs.it looked ok in each case,but when i returned rootrot had setin and the plants soon died,as did the offshoots.

whenever i walk past their graves i feel guilt.

t s t .