The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
charliewired

Acquiring Oz genetics

I have just begun to collect larger cuttings of Tricho's - its not always easy! For instance..

The trading factor: people you trade with some/most-times cant (or wont) usually provide phytosanitary certificates, which are technically required to import any rooted specimens legally, anything with dirt on it really... and technically they can mess with any greenery (although they generally tend to take it easy on clean bare root cuttings, from what Ive heard...but not always)

Secondly the vendor factor: Vendors Ive seen tend to have some pretty generic genetics sometimes, (most times?) alot of entheo vendors dont provide phytocerts and most often these days avoid the hassle altogether by shipping within thier own country,,,

Being someone who is just starting out - I tend to not have things, that the people I want genetics from, are interested in... which makes it hard to trade with some people anyway...

however Im lucky as like Australians, being from Canada, Im allowed to grow lophophora legally, as an added bonus we can import loph specimens with phytocerts in Can, and loph seeds - so Im flush with lophs, mainly from seeds, and starts from seeds, but some mail order cactus other people imported that I traded for...I have tricho seeds - Icaro DNA, bridgesii, koehres peruv and panachio's mindzeye bolivian peruv.....

But finding known & verified tricho variety cuttings for sale can be more difficult, Ive found...

shame that loph seeds cant be sent into OZ, labeled as lophophora anyway...

I can import from Peru,(w/phytocerts of course) sometimes its expensive - with other vendors its a genetics gamble, not mentioning any names... sometimes a relatively large order is required to make it worthwhile ($500USD & up)..

Reading Trouts book however (if you dont have a copy get one!) has really gotten me interested in some Oz varieties like Eileen, & there are some really interesting 4 ribbed bridgesiods, and some excellent looking pachanoids, etc etc Id love to acquire as well...

Well perhaps say someone will trade and take chances shipping ea way... some people might agree to sell you cuttings, money is always useful for things,,, anyway

Say a guy finds someone who will part with some material, either through sale or trade....

How would someone go about getting it to North America? Or likewise into Oz?

I could always take my chances sending no earth cuttings, so far 1 out of 1 parcels has arrived safely but I had an idea

that (even though its a shame)

> a 12"/13" cutting could be cut into 3 or 4 sections and sent in 3 or 4 different parcels - at least 1 or 2 has to make it through, I figure - this way I would have the genetics, even If I did lose the headstart of the larger cutting.

Secondly I suppose I could get someone to try and acquire a phytosanitary certificate for extra money... I have no idea how difficult this is in Oz - does anyone here have info on this? Has anyone done this or tried?....

its really not that hard in Canada, and only costs an extra $35 or so.....

I have sourced a lumberjackus cutting that Im having delievered and I have my fingers crossed..

Sourcing true seed of these special tested varieties - I would assume this is difficult, as even if there is a different trichocereus (or echinopsis etc) flowering within miles there will likely be cross-pollination from moths/bats etc ... let alone one on the same property or in the same greenhouse,,,

I could try and source some areoles (caloused) which would be easier to conceal in parcels, that might be easier to convince someone to part with a smaller amount? & that could perhaps potentially be areole grafted once they arrive...

Anyway as I said Im new to dealing with intershipping/trading between Oz and NA or Europe so could someone elaborate how it is done generally? - or any ideas on how it can be done?... just talking like?

If you want you could PM me with details..ideas... offers..

Please feel free

Cheers

Charliewired

Hey charlie, I've got TBMs, Juul's Giant x SSo1, and tested/potent T. pachs as well as some other cool plants. I'm not as far as some and the barter system kicks ass. PM me.

i wish you luck...i have had rotten luck with australia shipping....

Yah Charliewired I'd be happy to try and send you something as well from N america...

Felonius Monk - I live in SoCal too - what part are you from? I'm up to trade as well...

I'm all about swaping strains and genetics and whatnot, diversifying the collection and so on...